Sheep pacu

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
I just got some of these with anticipation of growing them out and keeping them with my smaller rays. I have heard they don't get large and are not aggressive. Now that I own them I am a bit worried about them. My fear is that they absolutely destroy full shrimp when I throw them in. Remind me of piranahs. Is this just because they are small at this point or are these fish aggressive?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Mind sharing where you got them from?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've heard them to eat the scales and sometimes eyes of other fish. Unknown if they will mess with rays. I know of a regular pacu that clipped the tails on some nice rays once. They all survived.

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
I've heard them to eat the scales and sometimes eyes of other fish. Unknown if they will mess with rays. I know of a regular pacu that clipped the tails on some nice rays once. They all survived.
They are the ultimate clean up crew so hope the rays are not affected. These fish will clean up full shrimp in the grow out tank ole I have never seen. They are either small and hungry or mis associated piranha. I will test them before letting them go in the main tank

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Who needs piranha when he can have pacu? I once hold 6 pacu in an above ground plastic pond. One morning, I saw a fur ball in the pond. Came to find out that it was what left of a rat. Anything that sticks out (tail, legs, head) was clipped off. Can't trust those pacu with other fish. They gnawed on the rim of the fishing net on several occasions, when I used it to scoop out floating waste in the tank

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Who needs piranha when he can have pacu? I once hold 6 pacu in an above ground plastic pond. One morning, I saw a fur ball in the pond. Came to find out that it was what left of a rat. Anything that sticks out (tail, legs, head) was clipped off. Can't trust those pacu with other fish. They gnawed on the rim of the fishing net on several occasions, when I used it to scoop out floating waste in the tank
I believe they are extremely curious, interactive fish, fascinated with the world around them. Not having hands and fingers, they only have their mouths and teeth to explore their world.

A

AquaAlex1993

Well, atleast the pacu destroyed rats for you.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store