Aquatank

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 30, 2017
california
aquatank134.wixsite.com
Hey guys I have a doubt about how I can make some bio media for my sump when I don't have enough money to buy the whole bio media.
Do you guys have any idea on how I can make one as I have some very porous stone at this point and I wanted to make it into bio media. Is it fine to do so?

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
I've seen a lot of things used as bio media over the years. Lava cinder rock is about as inexpensive as it gets if you buy it from Home Depot or other large home/garden improve mentioned center. Fabric stores will have bags or rolls of poly fiber sheets (like filter floss) you could layer. I've used both of those with success in the past. Back when the whole wet/dry thing first became popular people were using easter egg grass, shotgun wadding, any number of things, although I wouldn't personally use the last two. Dish scrubbing pads seem to be in the vogue these days sine you can get bags of 6-8 of them for a buck at the dollar store. Basically stuff with a lot of surface area.

Reactions: tlindsey

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Virtually anything with surface area, with low compression properties, can be used as bio-media. Back in the day, we used to use plastic army soldiers, Barrel-O-Monkeys pieces, etc. in our wet/dry filters. Maybe this chart will offer some inspiration in your project.

Biomedia.jpg

Reactions: Jhay3513

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I worked for a company once that started a recycling program.
Everyone was was asked to throw their plastic drink bottles in a certain bin and the lids from those bottles in another bin. There was a guy there who started taking the lids from drink bottles to use as his bio media.

I personally thought about all the peoples mouths being in contact with the lids and was grossed out by it. So I never tried it, but he said it worked IDK.

I went with pot scrubs fro the DG, 6 for a dollar pretty cheap. But man the funny looks when you buy 20 packs of 6 piece pot scrubs.
I told my wife we should buy Duct tape, bleach , zip ties, some rope and a shovel and maybe some plastic sheeting or a tarp as well.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I worked for a company once that started a recycling program.
Everyone was was asked to throw their plastic drink bottles in a certain bin and the lids from those bottles in another bin. There was a guy there who started taking the lids from drink bottles to use as his bio media.

I personally thought about all the peoples mouths being in contact with the lids and was grossed out by it. So I never tried it, but he said it worked IDK.

I went with pot scrubs fro the DG, 6 for a dollar pretty cheap. But man the funny looks when you buy 20 packs of 6 piece pot scrubs.
I told my wife we should buy Duct tape, bleach , zip ties, some rope and a shovel and maybe some plastic sheeting or a tarp as well.
I always get asked if I'm a clean freak, try explaining what you are trying to do to someone that has no idea. I only made that mistake once now I just agree and walk away it is hilarious the look on there face when you are dead serious when you agree with them about being a clean freak

Reactions: Jhay3513

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I always get asked if I'm a clean freak, try explaining what you are trying to do to someone that has no idea. I only made that mistake once now I just agree and walk away it is hilarious the look on there face when you are dead serious when you agree with them about being a clean freak
The good ol' shake your head yes and get the he!! Outta there tactic nice. When you really become a pro you'll go to the store with some huge over ear headphone so NOBODY will even look your way hahahahahahaha. That's my Walmart tactic

Reactions: millerkid519
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store