Direction of the hobby

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Mine are just on my desk right next to me, you can watch the whole life process and they breed with no extra effort. Plus it's constant work to cull and improve whatever strain you keep :)
No I get it. I was making a joke . It's just not for me. They seem to delicate. I subscribe to flip aquatics on YouTube I see the different strains.
But I hear of bacterial infection wiping out whole colonies and shrimp just dying for very minor reasons like a few degrees temperature change.
It's just not for me. But if other people love it, go for it.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
No I get it. I was making a joke . It's just not for me. They seem to delicate. I subscribe to flip aquatics on YouTube I see the different strains.
But I hear of bacterial infection wiping out whole colonies and shrimp just dying for very minor reasons like a few degrees temperature change.
It's just not for me. But if other people love it, go for it.
I went with basic stuff from a friend living nearby, they are surviving well enough. Some shrimp are tough but some you can compare to an invertebrate EBJD

Reactions: J. H.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Bans, Restrictions of Species, New laws, Illegal keeping of fish, no opportunity to sell fish that you have, as you are grandfathered into keeping but can't move/sell the fish or off spring.
Lots of limitation that make it all that much harder than it already is.

All I can say is more difficult times ahead for all of us and I hope we all do what we can to keep it all going as it is a lot of fun.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
This is the ONLY forum that fits my aquarium hobby. I'm into big fish, big tanks, and knowledgeable people to trade information with. I don't find any of these things on any other form of social media. I don't think MFK is dying at all. There will always be people interested in big expensive fish. There are more people interested in small tanks, small fish and shrimp. I'm absolutely ok with that. If everyone kept rays and aros I probably wouldn't be interested in keeping them myself. I think part of what being a monster fish keeper is all about is the uniqueness of it. For most people I know, I'm the only person they know who keeps fish measured in feet, and tanks measured in 100's of gallons....I like it that way
The membership on MFK has changed. The majority of current threads on MFK make me think I'm on AC. What is the difference between MFK and AC? There appears to be none anymore. OK, there still is a difference.....on MFK a person is more likely to get answers to questions on big fish and big tanks once they get past all the threads on 15 gallon tanks and nano tanks.

For me, the uniqueness of MFK is the big tank, big fish aspect. No where else are there discussions on Ultima II filters and Reeflo Hammerhead and Barracuda Gold pumps, big tank filtration or threads on 5,000, 10,000, 50,000 gallon tanks.

It's been a long time since MFK had threads like these:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/west-coast-vs-east-coast-monster-tank.7692/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...-gallons-or-bigger-you-better-park-it.363911/

Big tank builds like these were captivating.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/tank-conversion-5000-to-10000-gallons.74523/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/my-new-2600-gallon-plywood-tank-project.416005/

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I agree pacu mom. Haven't seen many threads like those in a while. Heck look at some of the last seen dates on the posters in those threads more than half are no longer active! sad to say the least.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ugggh these big tank threads kill me.... can i put up a go fund me for a bigger house lol

Mfk is the reason why i was able to get into larger tanks (cant really say mine are big based on mfk standards) and monsterish fish. It spread through out my whole family kids hang with me during maintenance even my wife has her favirotes. It would hit me on a personal level if anything ever happened with this site

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I kind of like the activity level where it is right now, busy enough to get timely answers and feedback but not so busy it takes a hour to go through the daily posts. Back when I joined i would only visit three forums and would run out of time. Now after I read what is of interest to my current likes and try to respond to things I have experience with if I have time I get to peruse subs that I know absolutely nothing about and it's like I'm just getting into the hobby all over again. Not to mention when mfk was at its busiest you'd click on a thread with 30 posts and every time the second or third post it would ask what size tank then you'd scroll through 20 "+1"s.

Reactions: tlindsey and Hendre

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Not to mention when mfk was at its busiest you'd click on a thread with 30 posts and every time the second or third post it would ask what size tank then you'd scroll through 20 "+1"s.
Easiest way for a newbie to get their post count up.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Easiest way for a newbie to get their post count up.
What do you consider a newbie pacu mom pacu mom ?

Here in South Africa monster aquaria are practically unheard of. The largest tanks here that I know of are by people like MariaS MariaS and her son

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store