Tank drilling

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
i have a 180g aqueon tank. I'll be moving soon and the tank will be emptied for a couple weeks. Wanted to use it an opportunity to drill the tank. I have a couple options.

1) Auto- drip: drill a hole for a 1/2in bulkhead as high as I can just under the frame and just run a pipe to a drain and drip directly into the tank. I am currently running 3 AC110s on the tank as the filtration.

2) Go sump: I can drill several holes and just setup a sump. I would then drill holes in the sump so I can still do an autodrip.

My questions:
1) My tank has a tempered bottom which means drilling the back of the tank. How safe is this? Is it very hard?
2) How many holes do I need to drill? I want it to be silent but I dont know how I do a herbie without an overflow box. Is it the same concept?
3) Do I go for a 1in or 1.5in bulkhead? I probably want to run about 1800-2000gph. I guess one return that is 3/4in?
4) I wont have time to setup the autodrip or sump right away, so is it easy to drill, install bulkheads and then "close it off" via some valve for me to setup at a later date?

Never done a sump or drilled a tank so this is a challenge for me. During my move the tank will be down for about 2 weeks with my aimara in a temporary 40g tank. I just know if I don't do it now, I never will.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
i have a 180g aqueon tank. I'll be moving soon and the tank will be emptied for a couple weeks. Wanted to use it an opportunity to drill the tank. I have a couple options.

1) Auto- drip: drill a hole for a 1/2in bulkhead as high as I can just under the frame and just run a pipe to a drain and drip directly into the tank. I am currently running 3 AC110s on the tank as the filtration.

2) Go sump: I can drill several holes and just setup a sump. I would then drill holes in the sump so I can still do an autodrip.

My questions:
1) My tank has a tempered bottom which means drilling the back of the tank. How safe is this? Is it very hard?
2) How many holes do I need to drill? I want it to be silent but I dont know how I do a herbie without an overflow box. Is it the same concept?
3) Do I go for a 1in or 1.5in bulkhead? I probably want to run about 1800-2000gph. I guess one return that is 3/4in?
4) I wont have time to setup the autodrip or sump right away, so is it easy to drill, install bulkheads and then "close it off" via some valve for me to setup at a later date?

Never done a sump or drilled a tank so this is a challenge for me. During my move the tank will be down for about 2 weeks with my aimara in a temporary 40g tank. I just know if I don't do it now, I never will.

millerkid519 millerkid519

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Drilling the holes are very easy.

Go with a sump.

1 inch drains should be plenty. Consider having an emergency drain as well.

3/4 returns should do well.

There are many many options. Check some of the thread here for ideas.

It is a learning experience. Just jump in.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
1 x 3/4 return is not enough. Id go with 2 and I wouldn't drill return just run it over back if possible. Unsure on the herbie style but I would do atleast 3 holes in the back at 1.5" . I think you need an overflow box to make a herbie work. I purchased a reef ready 180 really wish id gotten 1 without the preinstalled corner overflows I would have done a bean animal coast to coast on it. Mines not to bad but it could be quieter and it was almost impossible to get the herbie dialed in because the overflows flow differently from left to right. Tank is level just overflows have some minor difference.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
My biggest concern is how do I make it full proof and quiet without an overflow box. I think 2 drains gives me reducing provided each drain can handle the return flow individually. Then its a question of will this setup be quiet. How do I achieve that?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I normally drill tanks on the sides, near the tank water surface.
Much of the "bad stuff" (organic and inorganic pollutants) collect at the air water interface. Skimming the surface is much more effective at removing the bad stuff(even though it is often semi-invisible) compared to fish feces.
Drilling larger tanks is easy, I have even drilled them half full.

Reactions: eddiegunks

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
millerkid519 millerkid519
Wow I'm late to the party here. I have drilled free handed and with a jig, jig is alot easier what I usually do is free hand because I am to lazy to make a jig or I have also drilled them with water in the tank. Slow and steady lots of water.
As for a sump heck ya you won't regret it it is not hard at all just figure out what works for you and go for it. 2 x 1.5 inch drains will be sufficient but if you want the tank to be dead silent I would research bean animal overflows you don't need an external box for a bean animal just a simple internal box

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
millerkid519 millerkid519 how does the hole size and bulkhead size correlate? Looking at bulk heads, it looks like if I want 1.5in hole for flow, I will need a 2.5in bulkhead?

Also, when you drill these holes I thought I read that you tend to get .5-1in of water over the hole? Is that accurate? I want to get the hold as close to the frame as possible but I dont want to flood the tank and I dont want the water line to be below the frame either.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have had the best luck with buying the bulkheads measuring them and then buying the drill to suit the bulkhead. This is a good chart to go off of for the hole sizes most diamond drills I have seen are in metric because I live in Canada.

With the water level question, the water should be .5 to 1 inch above the lowest point of the through hole of the bulkhead.

If you are just drilling the back with no pverflow box drill your hole 4 inches or so from the top lip of the tank and use a 90 degree elbow to set your water night by rotating it upwards from parallel with the trim. It is the easiest way to set your water height.

If you are planing a bean animal you just need the full siphon to be fully submerged.

downloadfile-2.jpg

Reactions: twentyleagues

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I was looking at bulkreefsupply and they have all the plumbing, drill bits, bulkheads, etc. they also map compatibility of bulkheads with drill bits which is awesome.

Wanted to avoid the elbow so that the drains just blend into the rest of the black background.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store