gulper tank mates

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
i had my gulper a year now he is almost 8 inches measured. I had to force feed him or give him shrimp. I put in all kinds of fish for him he would not eat the guppies i breed. I put all my yellow lab fry in there and they grew i think he might have taken some here and there.

I tried to breed a convict or jewel pair in there but he ends up eating them.

I also have an anagel fish living with him along with guppies, swordtails all of them breed

really strange. At his size what kind of big fish would he eat in the wild? FROgs? What do you feed yours? ANYONE hae large ones? this fish means the world to me.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I have 2 maybe around 5 inches, iv had them for maybe 4 months and wen I added them there was 6 neon tetras.. now I'm down to 2. I also tried maybe 7-8 guppies.. first night down to 4.. month later down to 2... imo I think the gulpers don't really go after them but wen they get close enough they strike so if u have maybe some dense plants they could hide in it could work or just add a crap load and see what services... or u could always go bigger than what they can eat

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My trio is about the same size 8"-9". I give them thawed marine baitfish, many species, mostly herring. Whole. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/gulper-catfish-trio-7.678741/#post-7630190

I've no experience offering them anything live (on purpose), nor little fish like guppies and Co. People report gulpers pretty much ignore the tiny stuff. Perhaps they are not worth gulper's energy to catch. They do not normally consider them food, perhaps because they are made and hardwired to catch unsuspecting and unexpectedly large prey. That's their niche and specialty. Hence the mouth, the stomach and the name.

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
I have 2 maybe around 5 inches, iv had them for maybe 4 months and wen I added them there was 6 neon tetras.. now I'm down to 2. I also tried maybe 7-8 guppies.. first night down to 4.. month later down to 2... imo I think the gulpers don't really go after them but wen they get close enough they strike so if u have maybe some dense plants they could hide in it could work or just add a crap load and see what services... or u could always go bigger than what they can eat
I dont think there is bigger than what they can eat when i got my gulper at 2 inches he was in with 5 inch cichlids. He ate the first one who tried to fight him.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
You can try raising poison dart frogs and see if he eats them. I don't think they are expensive or hard to breed. There are people on here who have them.

Reactions: candidpets

candidpets

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2015
Brampton
www.facebook.com
lol jh he will get killed? poison for a reason. I was thinking more the lines of bulfrogs

poison dart frogs are beautiful though i am surei f bred lots would want them for display pets.

Just a bit scary when i was a kid i got poisoned by a fire belly toad lol it wasnt bad but damn it was so scary. The feeling puts you into pure terror.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store