40 breeder CA

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Hey just looking to start a discussion that either makes me aware of a species i haven't heard or one i may have overlooked.

i have a 40 breeder that currently holds a sajica pair- the male is moving into my 180 the female into a tank with a bocourti and two other convict type females.

I'm looking to get a pair or multiple if feasible in the breeder. I like how convicts look like mini midas and i have a siquia pair in the 40 breeder right next to this one.

Considerations are:
HRP's
Rainbow's
Calico cons ( if i can find some)
australoheros
sieboldi
septemfacias(SP)

are there some other fun options I'm missing- would any of these species be good together as two pairs ( IE group of Rainbows, or pair of rainbows and pair HRP'S)

what have you done with your 40 breeders?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
You can do neetropus nematopus. You can also do thorichthys Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 knows a lot about them. You also do just about any Tanganyika cichlids.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
You can do neetropus nematopus. You can also do thorichthys Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 knows a lot about them. You also do just about any Tanganyika cichlids.
thanks i was considering neets- they seem to be big on behavior, small on color. Rapps has blue faced neets but they give me PTSD from my days of keeping tropheus.
i do have a pretty tang setup in my living room it has leleupi, cyps, cuadopuncts, syn multipunctatus, 2 black calvus and 2 orange compressiceps.

I'm much more interested in CA cichlids these days- never bred any thorichthys- its a group i often overlook.

any thoughts on multiple pairs vs single pair?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think the problem here is obtaining a compatible pair.
Thorichthys do well in groups,the more the better when space allows. However I feel a 40 breeder is too small for a group of small c/a cichlids to cohabit until a pair is formed.
The only fish on the list I would attempt a small group of are the rainbows.
Rainbows are the most peaceful c/a in my experience.
If you were to find an established pair of any of the other fish,then as a short term breeding project I think most will work.
Lots of hiding places and retreats for the female would be advisable.
Personally I found neets nasty little beggers. If you try neets keep a close eye on them.
Rainbows are your best bet for success in my opinion.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I think the problem here is obtaining a compatible pair.
Thorichthys do well in groups,the more the better when space allows. However I feel a 40 breeder is too small for a group of small c/a cichlids to cohabit until a pair is formed.
The only fish on the list I would attempt a small group of are the rainbows.
Rainbows are the most peaceful c/a in my experience.
If you were to find an established pair of any of the other fish,then as a short term breeding project I think most will work.
Lots of hiding places and retreats for the female would be advisable.
Personally I found neets nasty little beggers. If you try neets keep a close eye on them.
Rainbows are your best bet for success in my opinion.
Thanks stanzzz- that's how I've been leaning (rainbows) then HRP's, then calico cons- austrolheros seem too boosterois for that tank too-
But also keep going back and forth that ampair of rainbows and a pair of HRP's would really complement each other's colors-

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I would have a divider on standby just in case.
Even the peaceful c/a's can pack a punch at breeding time,especially in a small footprint.
Good luck.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I would have a divider on standby just in case.
Even the peaceful c/a's can pack a punch at breeding time,especially in a small footprint.
Good luck.
I always a few in standby- hopefully whatever I choose will have a bond like my rio animas siquia- which don't require a divider but also do not accept tankmates in their 40 breeder-
I rainbows would allow a more colony type setup but the research and questions can be the best part

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Hey just looking to start a discussion that either makes me aware of a species i haven't heard or one i may have overlooked.

i have a 40 breeder that currently holds a sajica pair- the male is moving into my 180 the female into a tank with a bocourti and two other convict type females.

I'm looking to get a pair or multiple if feasible in the breeder. I like how convicts look like mini midas and i have a siquia pair in the 40 breeder right next to this one.

Considerations are:
HRP's
Rainbow's
Calico cons ( if i can find some)
australoheros
sieboldi
septemfacias(SP)

are there some other fun options I'm missing- would any of these species be good together as two pairs ( IE group of Rainbows, or pair of rainbows and pair HRP'S)

what have you done with your 40 breeders?
Salvini, nicaraguensis, cutteri cichlids, ellioti cichlids, flier cichlids, theraps coeruleus

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store