Going from 75 to 120

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I build a wooden stand fory 75g and would do the same for any tank I owned. For me, my tank is a display tank and I don't have a fish room or basement. Although if I did I would still build something nice as it's what I like.

Short term I may use something like that if I needed something quickly.

Totally up to the look your going for.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I've used cinder blocks (with 2x4's,) They are cheaper, easier and faster than constructing a wood or metal stand, and. imo, obviously cheaper than buying either.

You don't need special tools, special skills or much of a design. They can fit any tank size. The materials are easily found, easily moved and can be constructed and de-constructed easily to fit through any door or up or down any stairs by one person. No crews needed.

They have drawbacks: 1) negative aesthetic appeal; 2) heavier than wood or metal; 3) more destructive to carpet or wood flooring if the floor is not protected; and 4) can move laterally more easily than a properly built stand unless the tank is at least partially full.

Cinder blocks can be covered (with veneers) and of course the floor can be covered, but I wouldn't use cinder blocks for a very large tank (e.g., 240+ gallon) unless the strength of the floor was not a concern (for example on a concrete slab or a jack supported wood floor.)

I've used smallish tanks (75 gallons) in apartments (5th floor) with cinder blocks. The stand weighed 336 lbs (12 x 28 lbs each), while the tank was ~ 750 pounds.

For comps, the metal stand for my 180 gallon was probably 120-140 pounds, while the wood stand for my 55 gallon was probably 75 pounds.

Last edited:

Mattk1996

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2017
I build a wooden stand fory 75g and would do the same for any tank I owned. For me, my tank is a display tank and I don't have a fish room or basement. Although if I did I would still build something nice as it's what I like.

Short term I may use something like that if I needed something quickly.

Totally up to the look your going for.
Ya I needed something quickly considering I had about 20 fish in coolers waiting for somewhere to go and didn't want to put them in with my other fish and get them sick

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store