Hydra Treatment

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
I hvae hydra in my tank ans want to know the best way to get rid of it? I have read that removing the fish and increasing the temp to 40 degrees will kill it, what are your thoughts??? im my bacteria in the filter be ok with these temps, Stock it americans as well as clown loach, pleco and bristlenose. Thanks

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
It has been a long time since I have dealt with this, but as I recall copper sulfate wipes them out. You definitely want to get your clown loach out before you do this though, and anything else you feel is super sensitive. To be honest your cichlids are likely fine, but caution is never a bad idea.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I used the Panacur and it worked great to eliminate Hydra. I was in a hurry and just asked my veterinarian to sell me some after explaining what I needed it for.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
IMG_3601.JPG IMG_3602.JPG IMG_3601.JPG Actually the worming med I have contains flubenzadole I have safely used it with all my fish but how affective would it be against hydra?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
i thought i had hydra on my crayfish and prazi cleared the issue but not positive hydra.
if you are getting Febendazole buy safe guard over the counter. its cheaper then panacur.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
I just looked up safe-guard and panacur and both are quite expensive here in australia. Just wondering if anyone has used the heat method?? How would my benificial bacteria handel such high temps for a few hours? Fish would be removed obviously.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
Febendazole, found in dog dewormers like Panacur and Safe Guard. There's also a fish version sold as Fish Bendazole by Thomas Labs.
Out of Panacur, safe guard or fish bendazole which would you recommend? and is fenbenzadole safe for clown loaches and other scaleless fish??? i need to treat 55gal and 125gal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store