Pond with a window.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
so I am playing with the idea of making a pond that is semi underground with a window in the side. has anyone had any experience with this. I have found a few places that make stainless frames for this reason but man they are expensive and the only ones I have found are from overseas so add a butt ton of shipping on top of that. I would like to make the above ground portion out of timber and line it with a regular pond liner. what is everyones thoughts?

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
There's a guy on YouTube with a pond similar to the one you're talking about:

I don't have any experience with this, but it seems to me that construction of this would be pretty complicated and expensive.

Something that is much simpler would just be to put an inverted aquarium in the pond, and suck out the air if you want to see your fish from the side. You've probably heard of this, but if not, here's an example:

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
post in the DIY section -you'll get better responses there in regards to building things yourself. I'm curious about this too as I'm going to upgrade to pond(s) soon and I actually would like to keep seeing my fish

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
If I was doing this, I would dig a hole, just like a normal pond. Then I would weld a frame out of square tubing that goes over the hole, and is a couple of feet high, or as tall as you want the viewing panel to be. I would then cover the frame with plywood, and drop a big pond liner in so it covers the hole, as well as the portion that has been extended a couple of feet up. Then I would cut away the pond liner where I wanted the viewing panel to be, and silicone the panel in place. No experience in this, this is just how i would attempt to do this.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
i have one chance in the plan so far in that i am gonna do a totally above ground pond. the window i believe that i will cut channels into the 4x6 beams that i will use to frame the window out with and set the glass into that grove that is all the way around that pane. the liner will be overlapped into the joint between the glass and the frame and siliconed in. a steel frame will go on the inside of the pond and will be fastened with lag screws and more silicone. i will make the frame and the screws out of 316 stainless. another question, do you thin that i should use glass or acrylic for the window. i am leaning twards the glass just mainly for the durability against the sun as well as the scratch resistance.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Acrylic is more impact resistant if that is going to be an issue. Do you live in a temperate region of the country? If so winter is something to take into consideration; make sure the silicone isn't going to pull away from the glass/ acrylic. I want to make it clear that I have absolutely no experience in this and this is entirely projection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store