mystus wyckii catfish

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Ok, keep us updated, I would think the far is at risk, one bite and a broken back.
The GT will likely become a meal and the Oscars will probably get all ripped up dude...
It's the sad truth even with the more aggressive species I tried the wyckii was tearing them all up periodically... The stock that isn't the wyckii all get battered.
Feel free to share your experiences tho, I'm guessing it's likely to turn out similar or worse unless your very lucky.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
Will do iv kept fish for over 20 years and truly do believe that each fish is individual we will see if they get along I'm lucky enough to have the space to own some large aquariums and a tropical pond is in the pipe line so if they start to fall out I'll split them really have fell in love with these cats though amazing fish

Reactions: justarn

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
If you ask me I just think the fish truly requires its space. It will claim a hide and it will want no one around it. It'll beat on fish to make sure of that. If not it will certainly risk its life trying. Mine was torn up periodically for trying to do so to my similar sized curupira. He beat everyone else in the tank if they fought. My tank is small to try it; made an irresponsible impulsive purchase. He never had issues with my odor or gold wolf they stood hovering at the top, except one time my gold wolf bit him, he tries to boss anyone he can around but the wyckii bit him back and they never interacted again. My Trachy didn't let the wyckii in its hide and the wyckii didn't let anyone in its hide. Now my curu is the boss, always has been, doesn't like other fish fighting, he'll break it up; interesting character he has I've talked about it many times on various threads. So when he's swim by the wyckii spot the wyckii would attack. Everything went down hill when the curu figured out he could move the dw, I'd move it back and he'd push it so he could get in. Other fish have tested the curu he's beat them and then that'd be the end, but the wyckii wouldn't back down. So I truly feel it needs its space, it demands it, it can be kept with others but they need space to keep away from one another and secure hiding spots for each. I'll share a pic of the wyckii after a beating. It's pretty graphic.you can see the dw against the back glass, that's when the wyckii was fine to defend itself, but it took advantage and would sometimes come out attack the curu and go back to hide. But as you see in the next picture the curu moved it so he couldn't. The wolf was 1-2" larger than the wyckii. Now a wyckioides is what killed my last large wolf. Took a huge chunk out of the wolf twice and that was it. But that wolf was 12-13" while the wyckioides was 15-16". However thatbwolf wasn't much of a fighter. But I still think wyckioides is worse as far as aggression and I think it has a stronger bite.IMG_0959.JPGIMG_1511.JPGIMG_1738.JPGIMG_1739.JPGIMG_1728.JPG

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Good post Moe but man that is sad, was that all one attack?
Did the wolf kill him?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Good post Moe but man that is sad, was that all one attack?
Did the wolf kill him?
Two separate times he beat the wyckii bad, those are both. The fighting would stop, the wyckii would heal then bite the wolf again and the wolf would get fed up eventually kind of thing. It was sad to my eye cause I did like the wyckii as you may know it has been my favorite cat for some time but I must say I feel I have learned a lot from it about the wyckii. The wolf didn't kill the wyckii, one day I did a water change and the only thing that I could've thought I'd was something in the water, I harassed my family to see if mail came in about the water but they said nothing, so I did another water change, I almost lost my whole stock, only two who acted unaffected by it was my odoe and gold wolf. Everyone else's slime coat was peeling, my curu didn't move for days while breathing funny, the Trachy shed the most slime coat, the sun catfish was being real sluggish and almost just floating around, I removed the sun cat since he's. It to aggressive or as capable as the wyckii, but the wyckii had to fight it out in their and he didn't make it.

Reactions: justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
That's sad dude, I had an odeo that caused similar damage to a 12" red snakehead when he was 14"... toothy Characins seem to snap now and again and attack like a mouth of razor blades.
Really shows what a wolf is capable off, what was the size difference?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That's sad dude, I had an odeo that caused similar damage to a 12" red snakehead when he was 14"... toothy Characins seem to snap now and again and attack like a mouth of razor blades.
Really shows what a wolf is capable off, what was the size difference?
Wyckii 12" wolf 13-14". And yea wolves don't really snap until something gives them a reason ime. There was only one time the wyckii cowered.
IMG_0941.JPG

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
He is so heavily built and amoured...

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
He is so heavily built and amoured...
Yea lol he's fat. The wyckii never made more than a scrape on him similar to my odoe. The wolf hurts hisself more than any other fish had by running into dw when he does his little bluff of a chase. I'm 90% certain with a 240 they would have been fine. But I've only it a 120. Lasted about 5 months before the water failure.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Dunno mate, if the wyckii hit 2'+ the wolf might have ended up a gonna tbh.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store