What fish food to buy for large tank?

Graphic

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Hey guys, I have a large 300g tank that has a lot of fish. Flakes seem to just destroy the water quality. What are my options for something that's in bulk or small or large buckets worth? lol

skytan13

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2017
Asia
who are the inhabitants?

I rotate between pellets and frozen food and off the pump when i feed.
usually the water will cloud abit after the pump is up the water will be clear in a while.

Scraps are finished off by plecos and geos thou.

Some bite/small size pellets which can fit into mouth will be slightly better

Reactions: tlindsey

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
I would base the food on the dietary needs of the stock. I assume these are smaller fish if you are feeding flakes. I have some smaller fish that eat flakes and have no more water quality problems than pellets. I avoid uneaten food by feeding in small amounts at a time. Nothing is ever left.
But as to the question of an alternative to flakes, there are a lot of brands that make small granular pellets. Again, can't recommend anything specific because don't know the stock.

Reactions: tlindsey

Graphic

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
who are the inhabitants?

I rotate between pellets and frozen food and off the pump when i feed.
usually the water will cloud abit after the pump is up the water will be clear in a while.

Scraps are finished off by plecos and geos thou.

Some bite/small size pellets which can fit into mouth will be slightly better
I would base the food on the dietary needs of the stock. I assume these are smaller fish if you are feeding flakes. I have some smaller fish that eat flakes and have no more water quality problems than pellets. I avoid uneaten food by feeding in small amounts at a time. Nothing is ever left.
But as to the question of an alternative to flakes, there are a lot of brands that make small granular pellets. Again, can't recommend anything specific because don't know the stock.

Cichlids, Koi Fish, Arowana, Iridescent Shark etc.. The fish are pretty big now like 7-13"

I'd like to feed them pellets because my lifestyle is what it is I often need to just dump food and run. They always eat it but flakes are too small now for them.

I want to buy food in bulk.
I'm okay with mixing it.
I'd like to just dump it in and walk away, I even have a feeding bar for when I shut the pump off so the food doesn't hit the filter.

skytan13

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2017
Asia
Seems like you can feed them good sized pellets already since they are pretty big.

My side of the world Hikari is pretty much everywhere but price thou probably a bit steeper.
Probably factor in what your LFS carries in bulk.

For me I do feed market shrimp, frozen ghost shrimp manually from time to time as a treat for everyone.

The pellets are on timer once to twice a day with everything mixed
Aro - Hikari Food Sticks, OF ARG2, Hikari Carnivore
Geo,Uaru - Hikari Cichilds Gold, sinking..
Pleco - Hikari Sinking waffer.

Tube fed cos they have no chance against the cichilds
Rays - Hikari Carnivore

Graphic

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Seems like you can feed them good sized pellets already since they are pretty big.

My side of the world Hikari is pretty much everywhere but price thou probably a bit steeper.
Probably factor in what your LFS carries in bulk.

For me I do feed market shrimp, frozen ghost shrimp manually from time to time as a treat for everyone.

The pellets are on timer once to twice a day with everything mixed
Aro - Hikari Food Sticks, OF ARG2, Hikari Carnivore
Geo,Uaru - Hikari Cichilds Gold, sinking..
Pleco - Hikari Sinking waffer.

Tube fed cos they have no chance against the cichilds
Rays - Hikari Carnivore
Thank you very much. This helped me find all kinds of food for them. I'm going to be making a mixture of things :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store