Is this a parasite?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Anchor worms are an external parasite. The areas where they attach are prone to secondary infection. Please not that it's not uncommon to have multiple parasites or infections. So your fish may have some other internal parasites as well. Can you list any other symptoms you see? It's hard from your pictures to identify that 100% but the forked tail is a clear clue of anchor worms.

Dimilin (diflubenzurone) is the treatment of choice for anchor worms while sensitive fish are present (I notice your loaches). I've used it full strength on rays without issue, I've read it's safe for all similarly sensitive fish. It is sold online, under the name dimilin-x on ebay and amazon very affordable. Treat twice according to the bottle, remove carbon from the filter, will not negatively impact your biological filtration.

Goodluck.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Geez that reads like a mess, that's what I get for multitasking. Let me know if you need me to interpret.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
It's all good mate I understand what your saying. Just looked up dimilin x and it doesn't appear to be available in Australia. I checked on my fish this morning and can't see anymore of the anchor worms but it's hard to get a good clear looking ok at all my fish. The anchor worm had a forked tail it was clear/ whitish with a brown part. Yesterday was the first time I noticed it. As for the internal, late in the evening my Texas poops clear, now my red sev has some strange poo as well. When checking my fish this morning both my Texas and sev done normal brown poos. It's not till late at night 3 or 4 hrs after feeding, when I'm about to go to bed I see the clear poo. This morning I treated my tank again with kusauri wormer plus (flubenzendole)

Having a rough time with my fish at moment, almost ready to give

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
IMG_3974.JPG So after talking with quite a knowagbal guy at a LFS and I'm thinking that wasn't an anchor worm after all... I guess time will tell. But the poo is still a but strange in some of my cichlids

Anchor worm and the poop maybe separate infections. Not sure about the meds safety.

Can try this. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/treating-hexamita-aka-spironucleus.339362/
I'm following the above method to try tackel the suspected internal parasite. I also dosed with flubenzadole. I have parzipro on order but won't be here till 12 sept. I have Ivomectin on hand and from what I understand it's ver potent ( 1mls treat 5000 litre). Can anyone confirm is ivomectin is safe for scaleless fish such as clown loaches, Plecos, bgk. Tonight my oscar done a thick white poo. Not sure if that is a sign of anything?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It will be necessary to treat the entire tank, because the Argulus have probably dropped eggs, that will reinfect if not eradicated.
Often times 2ndary bacterial infection with accompany anchor worm, because of the stress produced, and open wounds.
You may want to find a club or group of Australian Koi keepers, that would have knowledge of, and access to the best meds available, because Argulus are common Koi pond parasites.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
It will be necessary to treat the entire tank, because the Argulus have probably dropped eggs, that will reinfect if not eradicated.
Often times 2ndary bacterial infection with accompany anchor worm, because of the stress produced, and open wounds.
You may want to find a club or group of Australian Koi keepers, that would have knowledge of, and access to the best meds available, because Argulus are common Koi pond parasites.
Hi dunes thanks for you imput,i looked up argulus and that dosent look like what i seen on my fish. I still havent seen any anchor worms thnakfully.

It's internal parasites. Most likely hex is your culprit
And what meds do you recommend for hex?

Ive been soaking my food on epsom salt water for about 5 days. Fish are pooing fine but texas still does a long very thin clear/white poo a few hours after feeding but does nice thick brown poos at all other time.

Tank got a second dose of flubenzendole yesterday

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store