Starting First "Monster Tank" Advice Welcome

livelaughlovemyfish

Feeder Fish
May 22, 2017
Texas, USA
Hi all, I have been keeping fish for many many years off and on. I've been pretty serious about it over the past 4 years and have slowly caught MTS and upgraded tank after tank. I broke down and got a 168g tank that I am in the process of setting up. I want to plan out my stock and am hoping for some help. Currently, my largest tank is 75g, so this 168 is quite a step up for me. The only fish that is absolutely going in the 168 is a BGK, currently about 5-6" and so far peacefully living with Angelfish in a 75g. I would really like to have a low tech planted tank (I have 5 currently), but some of the fish I want may not be compatible with planted tanks. I do have the option of running a planted tank (of sorts) in the sump, but this would be a new experience for me.

Stock ideas:
I am drawn to CA/SA cichlids and want a peaceful tank. The tank is for my BGK so everything else is second to that. The cichlids I am considering are Uaru (may be too large?), Festivums, and Severums. I would like some color in the tank and outside of the severums, there wouldn't be much color. I am thinking of some type of schooling/shoaling fish maybe rainbowfish.

Three questions: 1) how does this stocking list above look and 2) how many uaru, festivum, sevs could I keep in addition to a BGK (maxes out at 18")? 3) any plants that could survive this stock list or do I give up the dream? TIA

Reactions: J. H.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
In my opinion I think I would leave out the uaru.They are nice fish and I see the attraction. I've always fancied a group myself.
In regards to if they are too big for your tank is debatable. I have seen some Uaru much bigger than the stated sizes,more than once.
If the uaru I have seen were exceptions to the norm or a common thing,I can not say.
If you want to keep your black ghost knife, I think with a group of adult Uaru, it could get a little crowded long term.
I would avoid boisterous cichlids like a lot of c/a's.I don't feel like they are the best choice to house with your knife.They will also make a planted tank much more challenging.
I do like the idea of a nice group of festivums. I think a group of around 8 shoaling about the upper layers of the tank would compliment your knife very well.They are not boisterous cichlids,they won't bother any planting and they won't out compete your knife for food.
You could try a heros species. I have always found Severums a little more aggressive than is often reported. I have kept them in tanks 200+ gallons and still found them quite scrappy amongst themselves. I have a group now and they are much the same.This may just be my experience as lots of people seem to keep them in relative harmony.
If it were my tank I would do the knife and a decent sized group of festivums.
Less is often more and with sand, roots and the right planting, plus a little patience. That stock would work well and look amazing.

Reactions: TheMoneyTank(TMT)

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Hi all, I have been keeping fish for many many years off and on. I've been pretty serious about it over the past 4 years and have slowly caught MTS and upgraded tank after tank. I broke down and got a 168g tank that I am in the process of setting up. I want to plan out my stock and am hoping for some help. Currently, my largest tank is 75g, so this 168 is quite a step up for me. The only fish that is absolutely going in the 168 is a BGK, currently about 5-6" and so far peacefully living with Angelfish in a 75g. I would really like to have a low tech planted tank (I have 5 currently), but some of the fish I want may not be compatible with planted tanks. I do have the option of running a planted tank (of sorts) in the sump, but this would be a new experience for me.

Stock ideas:
I am drawn to CA/SA cichlids and want a peaceful tank. The tank is for my BGK so everything else is second to that. The cichlids I am considering are Uaru (may be too large?), Festivums, and Severums. I would like some color in the tank and outside of the severums, there wouldn't be much color. I am thinking of some type of schooling/shoaling fish maybe rainbowfish.

Three questions: 1) how does this stocking list above look and 2) how many uaru, festivum, sevs could I keep in addition to a BGK (maxes out at 18")? 3) any plants that could survive this stock list or do I give up the dream? TIA
168 gallons is a good size for a knifefish you seem like you want an oddball/ peaceful cichlid tank butvuaru do grow quite large a 180 minimum for a group of them and they eat plants and some severum can become quite nasty once mature and eat plants here are some options
X1 black ghost knife fish
X5 festivum
X2 keyhole cichlids
X4 pike characins
X1 green/blue phantom pleco
X1 gold nugget pleco
X20 bleeding heart tetras
X10 sterbai corydoras
X2 ellioti cichlids
Plant with Amazon swords with bogwood/driftwood pieces and floating plants

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
168 gallons is a good size for a knifefish you seem like you want an oddball/ peaceful cichlid tank butvuaru do grow quite large a 180 minimum for a group of them and they eat plants and some severum can become quite nasty once mature and eat plants here are some options
X1 black ghost knife fish
X5 festivum
X2 keyhole cichlids
X4 pike characins
X1 green/blue phantom pleco
X1 gold nugget pleco
X20 bleeding heart tetras
X10 sterbai corydoras
X2 ellioti cichlids
Plant with Amazon swords with bogwood/driftwood pieces and floating plants
You could also get away with 1 or 2 pairs of dwarf pike cichlids 7cm most will look good patrolling the bottom layers of the aquarium

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store