New flowerhorn questions

yoboyjuice

Feeder Fish
Aug 17, 2017
I got a flowerhorn about a 2 weeks ago. I don't know much about it. It's it male or female? Does it have a hard or water kok? What kind is it? Is it high quality?
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Austin

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3961.JPG

IMG_3962.JPG

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

Travis Condy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2017
Long Beach, CA
I would say that you got yourself a red dragon. At that size, it is without a doubt a male with the KOK size. As far as hard or water head, it has a water head; however, you're going to have to be patient and see how big it gets. Make sure to take good care of him and he'll keep growing.

Zmeflyby

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2016
Nice Flowerhorn, I would say its closer to mid to low quality, but it looks like a nice kok there.

yoboyjuice

Feeder Fish
Aug 17, 2017
Travis Condy Travis Condy Z Zmeflyby thanks for the help.

I have 2 more questions If anyone can help.

First is feeding. What's the best food(s) and how much? Rn he will eat everything I feed him. Is there any risks to overfeeding besides ammonia spikes and water quality? Want to feed him as much as possible to try and get him to size and be as happy as possible. Right now he's around 3 inches and is alone in a 60g and if I feed him pellets I can easily clean up after him. Also it's a bb tank so cleaning is super easy. I'll often siphon after feeding each day or every other.
The 2nd question is he's a little skittish still. He's improved a lot and he'll eat out of my hand but he's still afraid if I put my hand near the tank. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Austin

Travis Condy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2017
Long Beach, CA
I would say don't go crazy with feeding, a stable pellet three times a day with maybe bloodworms, raw shrimp, etc. If you want to get some growth out of him make sure to keep the temp around 84 - 86, this will help with his metabolism. Always stay ontop of water changes. KOK & color in flowerhorns are easily determined by how well you take care of him.
Plus, don't worry about him being skittish, he's a flowerhorn. Once he becomes comfortable he won't have any problem chasing your hand or try and bite you when you clean his tank. :D

yoboyjuice

Feeder Fish
Aug 17, 2017
Travis Condy Travis Condy thank you.
I've been pretty on top of things as far as food and water changes.
I've been doing 5 gallon~10% water changes maybe 3 times a week. Is it better to do it this way or weekly or every other week?

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Here's my 3 inches (flash ruined the colour of him he looks better) he was skittish at first just give time and patience (and a mirror ) and let him get used 2 movement outside the tank Snapchat-1863845162.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store