whitespot treatment

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I started to treat an outbreak of whitespot with a bottle of medication i had from a previous outbreak, it is "Interpet anti white spot". Then realising i wouldn't have enough to finish the course i went to my LFS today to get some more. They didn't have the "Interpet" type so i got "Waterlife white spot and fungus". They both have the malachite green as the active ingredient.

However the interpet type is s 4 day course which says treat the water on day 1 and then again on day 4.

The waterlife type is a 6 day course which says treat the water on day 1, day 2, day 3 and day 6.

This has thrown me a little, what am i to do?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should finish the course but would resume from the last dose of interpet.

Cant seem to find all the ingredients in it.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Should finish the course but would resume from the last dose of interpet.

Cant seem to find all the ingredients in it.
There's my problem right there. Not enough interpet left to finish the course and the waterlife medication is a totally different dosage. Would it be best to do a large water change to remove the vast majority of the interpet treatment and then start afresh with the waterlife medication?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No. Leave what concentration is left in the tank. Sorry i meant start the waterlife immediately as a brand new treatment.

Reactions: esoxlucius

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
None of these treatments are meant to really take 4 days. They need to be re dosed. Her's a common one:

R
Rid-Ich

Active Ingredients: Malachite green and Formalin
Diseases: Ich

Contraindications:
Both active ingredients are carcinogenic agents. See further information of both ingredients under Formalin/Formaldehyde and Malachite Green.

Dosage is one teaspoon per 10 gallons and must be done daily for at least a week and another three days after ich had seemingly disappeared. Do partial water changes before administering full dosage as required.

Be sure your water has plenty of oxygen as Rid-Ich can deplete oxygen levels.

Dosage information is courtesy of Thegab.org.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/list-of-treatments-and-contraindications.295289/

Note: "must be done daily for at least a week and another three days after ich had seemingly disappeared."

Ich can't be gotten rid of unless the treatments are followed and maintained. In the above treatment, it needs to be done daily.

The whole treatment will optimistically take 10-14 days at 77 F, assuming the tank is not reinfected, to be prudent. People using heat and salt should take longer to be safe.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store