Pretty Awesome Looking Cat at my LFS

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I have over 30 tanks that this catfish species could live its life in comfortably. And, I don't have near the tanks sizes many of our members have. My current largest tank is only 650 gallons.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have over 30 tanks that this catfish species could live its life in comfortably. And, I don't have near the tanks sizes many of our members have. My current largest tank is only 650 gallons.
Maybe the picture isn't a good representation of their adult size. It does kind of look like the guy is holding it out a bit in front of him. You know, one of those tricks to make your catch look bigger. Lol

The info I found says they can get up to about 3ft long. I would think a 5-600gal tank would be about the bare minimum, but I could be wrong. Either way, they get way to big for my 220. Lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Their size is comparable with the niger cats which have been sold in the hobby for many years.Like most large growing fish that are kept,very few of them reach full grown size.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Their size is comparable with the niger cats which have been sold in the hobby for many years.Like most large growing fish that are kept,very few of them reach full grown size.
But, do they not usually reach full grown size because they are often kept in poor and small conditions, or because of natural health problems.

I was tempted to pick him up, but decided that I wanted to check them out first, and I'm glad I did. Lol. If I were going to get a "too big for my tank cat," it would definitely be a TSN. However, I haven't gotten one of those for the same reason...they just get too big.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
As a fisherman, the guy in the pic is using the oldest trick in the book to make the fish look larger than it really is. Held away from his body and angling the front half of the fish towards the camera. Still a nice large growing fish - but I do agree lots of people could keep them full term. Much more manageable than a lot of species that are far more common in the trade.

Reactions: Rpul

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From what I could see in my trio in 4500 gal, they are pretty sedentary. Now what happens at night, I don't know. Mine are ~2.5-3 years old, bought at the same time from snookn21, two are ~12"-15", one is ~20"-22".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store