Small tank not level.....big deal?

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
I have a 20g long tank that I am setting up as a QT tank. It is off level front to back by about 5mm. Is that anything to worry about in a tank this small?

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
I wouldn't be comfortable with a 5mm difference so I'd shim the front or back up during the next water change. I believe it'll be fine though.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Lol. My 370 is about an inch different front to back! Nobody but me knows..oops, now you know too! An inch over a 40" span isn't as drastic as it may seem.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Level it in the corners.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; In keeping with the thread "WHY" I should make a list of disclaimers and perhaps include a resume. I don't feel like doing all that and will qualify my comments with only one. That is I have run small tanks out of level many times without leaks.

That said I do level small tanks that are to be set up and run for a long time.

That said am I correct in that 5mm is something close to a 1/3 inch? 13mm is right at 1/2 inch.
If so 5mm is not out of level by much.

That said, let me add that out of level front to back or side to side is not as big a worry as out corner to corner.

dalto

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2017
Thanks for the advice everyone. Since the placement of the tank is somewhat unconventional, I realized I probably should provide more information. Space comes at a huge premium for me so the tank on the end of a tub in an unused bathroom. I could force some shims in between the plywood but I am not sure if that would be better or worse.

Here is a pic so you can see what I mean.

tank pic.jpg

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Thanks for the advice everyone. Since the placement of the tank is somewhat unconventional, I realized I probably should provide more information. Space comes at a huge premium for me so the tank on the end of a tub in an unused bathroom. I could force some shims in between the plywood but I am not sure if that would be better or worse.

Here is a pic so you can see what I mean.

View attachment 1269467
Hello; If it leaks the water will go into the tub.

Hello; By the way I get to add the image to my "that's a new one to me" list. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store