Raceway within existing stream.

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
I have been raising trout for the past 4 1/2 yrs with limited success. Getting better and learning more year after year. I use a semi recycled system for the indoor tanks ( outside but under cover of pole barn ) with well water. Just put in a new well just for sole purpose of the tanks with a system set up on a timer so its not constant flow but to keep the nitrites and ammonia to zero. Was doing daily water changes before and it got old quick. Nor do I want to use constant flow and burn more electricity.
I have raised 18,000 so far. Browns Brooks and rainbows.

I also have ponds on property where most fish go at 4 to 10 inches. 1/8 th of an acre up to 20 acre with 17 ft. depth.

I am now constructing a raceway within the stream. My question is that the stream gets down to 12 to 18 inches in depth for the MOST of the stream during say July through September.
Some areas have 2-3 foot holes but it is not practical for me to build my raceway where those holes are.

So I'm gonna dig out a couple areas 2 ft. in depth and put the raceways in. Nice sandy rocky bottom.
I would think it is more important to have good flow rate and good water quality and temperature vs the depth or how much volume of water is in the raceway at any given point right?
ANd how would one determine how many fish (brood stock ) could survive in there?

It is currently 62 degrees, DO is 8 and ph of 7.8 and that's probably the warmest it ever gets and also the shallowest it gets.
I dont' know how much flow is going down the stream but where I want to put these raceways is the best current areas. And hardly any "muck" its all nice substrate with shade.

Thanks.

Reactions: J. H.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Before giving you any advice, I assume you have obtained permits for this? I'm not 100% on NY laws, but in many states altering natural stream flow in any way is a big no-no and requires lots of paperwork.

HoundsNTrout

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Tug Hill NY
www.Adirondackkennel.com
Not altering any flow or anything, no.
But in NYS it has to be a NYS registered trout stream and/or NYS brook trout breeding stream and you can not put dams, etc. but stream revitalization is always welcomed. I've brought in a lot of NYS folks here from biologists to hatchery managers and police for advice. Gotta keep it real here. Thanks.

Reactions: henria86 and J. H.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Not altering any flow or anything, no.
But in NYS it has to be a NYS registered trout stream and/or NYS brook trout breeding stream and you can not put dams, etc. but stream revitalization is always welcomed. I've brought in a lot of NYS folks here from biologists to hatchery managers and police for advice. Gotta keep it real here. Thanks.
If you install a raceway next to the stream channel and divert flow to the raceway, you will have altered the flow of the stream over the diverted reach. I would be very careful with this and seek a permit from NYDEC. It looks to me like you need at least 2 permits irregardless of the trout issue you have identified.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/96314.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store