Koi Growth Food Reccomendations

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Hi,
I have a 4000g koi pond with about 25 koi. I have had them for 2 years now, and got them when they were 4-5", they are now 6-8". This growth seems really slow to me. The pond is in southern california. I use kens fish summer and growth formula pellets. I also have albino channel catfish that started at 3" and are 10-14" now.

Any suggestions for a good diet for these koi?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
My channels always seem to out grow my koi. I would focus more on water change schedule opposed to feeding regimen. Out of curiosity how often do you feed?

Reactions: Chub_by

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Hikari makes several summertime growth food. What I normal do is feed several times a day but small portions to allow them to absorb the nuitrients. Feeding a lot all at once doesn't do any good.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Huh. How often are you doing water changes?
I don't feed anything special to mine. Just API pond fish food. I also got my main stock a couple years ago ranging from 2"-6". They were 8"-16" when I measured this past spring.
Were they previously stunted really bad?

Timkoi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2007
California
Water changes water changes. They might be too old to get growing now.

Jasonnstephjung

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
There could be a lot of factors at play. I am not familiar with that food. Yeah water quality is very important, but you need a high quality koi food too. I have read that koi grow until they are three. If they don't have enough nutrients or protein they will be stunted

Tankzfordayz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2017
Yes Koi can have their growth stunted by overcrowding or poor water quality. Personally I don't believe in water changes for diluting density-dependent-growth-inhibiting hormones or other dissolved organics. I'm sure these things play a roll, but not one that is noticeable to the average hobbyist. Just keep your Ammonnia, Nitrite, and KH in check, don't crowd them, and FEED THEM.
I wouldn't give up on their growth just yet without trying a good qualilty food.
Food is the biggest factor: good quality and feeding often. the japanese feed some of theirs 10x a day lol!
Whatever you get, try to get 30-40% protein (watch your ammonia carefully!) from both plant and animal sources.
Hikari makes a good growth formula, as does Hanover Koi Farms.
Boris Gomelski out of KSU has a great article on protein content's affects on koi growth, Will try to see if I still have it....The gist is more protien=more growth regardless of source (no duh right?)

Hope this helps and keep us posted!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I picked up my butterfly koi, it was about 3" at an aquarium club auction, along with some 2" goldfish.
They were fed generic koi food May thru Oct, and not fed in winter at all, (water temps 50'F and below). kept in a 500 gal pond, a kiddy pool in an unheated basement in winter.
In 3 years the koi grew to over 12", and the goldfish @6".
I believe growth has everything to do with dissolved organics, and good water quality.
I cleaned the mechanical filter twice per week, and ran a protein skimmer to remove as many nitrate precursors as possible, with weekly water changes, unless it rained.

video below of protein skimmer working, and another of goldfish spawning.
koi pond fractionation
GOPR6064

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
I have 2 koi I rehomed after their elderly owner died, they were both around 18" long and lived in a 6x4 preformed fiberglass pond run off a small box filter. No idea how old they are but was told he had them for many years. After 5 or 6 yrs in my pond they are over 2ft long and still growing. Be careful doing water changes, small and frequent are best. Mine are fed koi pellets and sticks mixed, I also add sinking halibut pellets which are designed to give growth. The depth of your pond affects how your koi gro too, shallow ponds tend to produce longer thinner fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store