Why?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Fair enough, Frank. But why not just call it what it is, and direct that angst towards those who are acting in this manner? (google and hit reply) The worst that happens is someone gets hurt feelings, the best case scenario is they learn to earn their place in some of these discussions. If not on the public forum, then perhaps a gentle nudge via PM.

Then there's no mistaking if one is referring to Hendre, or not? :)
Very good point. I honeslty didnt know who op was referring too. I guess thats for op to decide who hes referrimg to. I have no problem asking the googlers "how do you know that " when it arises.

Tbh it doesnt bother me to the point of having to call people out specifically since at the end of the day they are trying to help...or are they just trying to be in the second group mhhh.

Either way id rather see a b.s cut copy and paste response vs the whole "did you use the search function" or "have you tried googling" response.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Why would anyone devote time to argue if your smart or not. Do you WANT the thread to be about you.
People are weird.

SkJ mentioned something earlier. Just poking fun at him

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Fair enough, Frank. But why not just call it what it is, and direct that angst towards those who are acting in this manner? (google and hit reply) The worst that happens is someone gets hurt feelings, the best case scenario is they learn to earn their place in some of these discussions. If not on the public forum, then perhaps a gentle nudge via PM.

Then there's no mistaking if one is referring to Hendre, or not? :)
Hello; For what it is worth I have been going on about Hendre being the focus of the thread as a form of teasing, joking and not in the sense that I think he is actually the focus. I have teased Hendre in other posts and he is good natured enough to roll with it. Among the possibilities in these threads is that some don't get that it is a joke or have some other agenda.

I do get the sense the OP has been teed off by posts from a member or several members. Is it Hendre? Is it me? is it someone else?
Back when I taught at my first school the principal would call faculty meetings when something went wrong. He got all of us together and in effect "chewed out" all of us in place of just the guilty.
Is it time to call out the actual inspiration for the thread? I am curious.

As far as it goes we are not going to change our ways are we? We have gone round and round about this and what I gather is we will keep on keeping on.

jimoo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Providence, RI
Nothing really for me to add here as everything that needed to be said pretty much has been already so no point in me repeating anything.I'm just curious as to which species of fish you own or have owned that no one else has?

For one example, I haven't communicated with others that have kept Platysilurus mucosus or Goeldiella eques. I'm sure they're out there, but its not common.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I generally only respond to things I have first hand experience with. With that said there is some cases where I will provide my opinion based on my own findings if it's something that can help the original poster. [redacted] Get my point?
Never kept the fish = NKF
I have actual experience = HE (maybe HE 8 for eight years experience)
I have read about it = HR
I have read about it from a trusted source = HRT
my best guess based on similar experience = BGE
My best guess based on nothing = BGDA
I am a troll and only care about stirring things up = CARP
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/looking-for-advice.691800/

S skjl47 what is the code to indicate someone lacks a deep understanding of how to give a less experienced fish keeper context-specific (read as practical) advice?

Beautiful fish, that carp. If only it came in green................. :eek::D

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
what is the code to indicate someone lacks a deep understanding of how to give a less experienced fish keeper context-specific (read as practical) advice?
Hello; Two examples come to mind. One is a member who writes a very short answer to a complex situation which leaves out too much detail. The experienced member may know all the details but fails to grasp that to the noob ( is this the word for a new unexperienced fishkeeper) has no idea at all. A classic might be only "Your tank is not cycled."
Even tho there have been plenty of such posts I cannot recall anyone by name to "out". I would out them I just can not remember. Help! someone knows a member who does this.

What might the code be? Something that denotes a much too brief answer = SS (for short stuff)

The other example could be one of my posts where I write much too much and throw in too many side stories. Long winded and convoluted = TMI (for too much Information)

Reactions: J. H.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Hello; Two examples come to mind. One is a member who writes a very short answer to a complex situation which leaves out too much detail. The experienced member may know all the details but fails to grasp that to the noob ( is this the word for a new unexperienced fishkeeper) has no idea at all. A classic might be only "Your tank is not cycled."
Even tho there have been plenty of such posts I cannot recall anyone by name to "out". I would out them I just can not remember. Help! someone knows a member who does this.

What might the code be? Something that denotes a much too brief answer = SS (for short stuff)

The other example could be one of my posts where I write much too much and throw in too many side stories. Long winded and convoluted = TMI (for too much Information)
your post is TLWTICE

Reactions: J. H.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ

Well, as feeble as I am at the web, I know TL;DR = Too Long; Didn't Read. Often just TLDR, or even TL

I am guilty as charged on the short answers.... though SS seems a little too Nazi for me. It's tough on this point. I suppose I do it for two reasons: 1) I don't feel like giving a more detailed explanation until the OP has demonstrated they are engaged and 2) willing to learn. I think my posting history bears that out, personally.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store