Back in hobby with new 8" Midevil

felidae99

Feeder Fish
Aug 16, 2017
It has been decades since I've been in the hobby, but recently I bought a 5 gal setup on a lark on sale at my lfs, threw a male betta and some corys in, then caught MTS.
There was a complete TOP FIN 55 setup in a one day flash sale, so I grabbed it. The 75 HOB wouldn't be enough, I knew, so I added another HOB Emperor and picked up a Sunsun HW-304B on Amazon with media. I also added 250mg of purigen, and some lava rock to the included bioballs, sponges, and noodles....
For substrate I got 50 lbs of sand at my nearest Home Depot and rinsed the s$%t out of it in my tub for hours.
But initially I left the tank substrate-free and started cycling with some existing spiked media. I even let my corys and betta have the tank all to themselves for a day or two!
After the cycling I noticed a "Red Devil" on sale for twenty bucks on craigslist. I contacted the seller and he told me he had raised the 8" devil from store-bought, and it had started bullying other cichlids in his community 125g tank so he had to sell him. The asking price seemed very reasonable, so I went and got him.
There's a picture of my setup in the gallery where one of my two cats is checking out my MD.
Setup and acclimation went off without a hitch, but he did seem MUCH happier after I added the sand. He builds volcanoes and digs out pits all day. I put a pot in there for him to hide, but it was floating, so I tried weighing it down with sand. He'd just scoop the sand up in his mouth and spit it out the front door. Finally I washed and cleaned some old stainless steel ratchet bolts I had laying around, threw them in, and it's been down and weighted ever since.
My background is in zoology and ethology and I've been having lots of fun interacting with him. They're amazingly intelligent animals, as most predators are, and he regularly bullies my cats when the check him out, and he even charges me when I interact with him several times a day.
His owner only ever fed him hikari, so I picked some up, but I also put in about 10 minnows with him. He hid at first! They started schooling in one end of the tank at the top, and I turned out the lights and went to bed.
Next morning no minnows.
I have NO idea what happened to them all! ;)
I can't put anything else in there with him, of course, in a 55, but I'll probably pick up some neon tetras next week as dithers and see how long they last.
I am extremely please to be back in the hobby, and would like, in the next year, to try building my own large acrylic tank. 500 gallons or so, and trying a Dovii. I'm not afraid of getting wet XD

But I'm very happy to be here and have gotten great tips from this forum! Our little guys mean so much to us, and we spoil the s%^t out of them, right?

- JP

20170816_132733.jpg

20170816_132737.jpg

00Z0Z_3jNJvA3KhN3_1200x900.jpg

20170815_130726.jpg

Reactions: justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
That's a very very nice midevil, not what a expected to see before I clicked!-)
What's with the gravel in 1 pic and the bare bottom in the other?

Reactions: felidae99

felidae99

Feeder Fish
Aug 16, 2017
That one pic was the pic in the craigslist ad. I'm pretty sure he's a midevil, as he told me he was store-bought. It seems to fit the MD profile as far as morphology, and that it was bullying his other fish in a Midas-like fashion. Great fish! I'm really pleased.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Lol, was he imprisoned in a plastic jar with holes in it? Is a beautiful amph man..

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Does look like a midevil, and a very nice one! I would recommend against feeding minnows, as it can introduce a whole host of parasites and diseases if store bought. If you want to feed them, I would recommend raising your own livebearers in a small separate tank, so you know they are healthy.
500g with a Dovii sounds like a nice step up! If this is a male I would keep in mind that he would eventually enjoy a tank larger than 55 gallons as well. He will be okay in the 55 for a while though, if female she could be kept in there for life and will only grow another inch or two. Males can push 14" and get very bulky.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I love his markings very unique. I bet will pop more as he settles in more. Might I suggest getting Roseline sharks as dithers. Thay are a tab spendy for dithers, but they can get to a nice size of 5in, so should not become dinner over time. Not only are they a great schooling fish vary active, they do a great job of tank cleaning, for when they are not swarming around they pick clean the whole tank of excess food bits. They have even learned to hover around my Oscar while she eats and grab all the bits that come out.
20170709_223250.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store