New tank Filtraion input

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Hey guys
I got a 220 plywood tank.
I'm hoping for 2-3 Arrowana and 2 rays to be the eventual stock. Maybe a few randoms to fill the inbetween space.

Presently I have no room bellow for a sump, I have a 24x24x24 space beside the tank I could put two large cannisters, but these are pricey. Presently I was thinking of custom building the biggest sump/tank to fit in the hole. Over all I think I can get a bit more space and have a 60G sump setup, with a trickle wet/dry

I also have direct access in the wall behind the tank to water and a drain. So I was thinking of overflowing the sump with a drip into the tank. This should help with nitrates.

I am tight on space and trying to figure out my best bet for over flowing the tank tot he sump.

I was going to do 3 bulkheads, and piped together externally, then set the overflow out side the tank with these. Giving the rays 3 they would need to block to effect flow.

2 would be lower level flat intakes. One setup as a skimmer

Sorry about the crap pic, I'll hand draw one in a bit that's better.

drain.png

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
the stock you are planning will well exceed that footprint in only months. Unfortunately both species are heavy on bio load so nitrate levels will exceed 80 almost overnight in a tank that size.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
A 220 can not hold 2 Arrowana and 2 stings? Or are you talking about the sump itself?
I have options to increase sump volume as needed. Just trying to pace out what I need.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
A 220 can not hold 2 Arrowana and 2 stings? Or are you talking about the sump itself?
I have options to increase sump volume as needed. Just trying to pace out what I need.
Correct, a 220 will not hold either species for long.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
From what I gathered it would hold them for a few years. before an issue of out growing the space comes up. I never said I did not have the ability or plan to build a larger tank as they require it.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
From what I gathered it would hold them for a few years. before an issue of out growing the space comes up. I never said I did not have the ability or plan to build a larger tank as they require it.
I'm not knocking your ability to care for them or increase tank size just to be clear. Just pointing out a perameter in the design that might change a few things. Best of luck

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Thank you for that
But I've been told by multiple people a 220gallon tank is enough for young rays. obviously it's small for 18" rays etc. and expansion would be needed at some point.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have to agree with JK47 JK47 this tank is just simply to small. You're going to run into problems faster than you think. It's you decision. That being said.
I believe your design would work if I'm understanding your diagram correctly.
The only drawback I can see would be noise.
The sucking, toilet bowl flushing noise gets pretty annoying.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I would look into doing a bean animal or durso type overflow.
They can be made silent if adjusted properly.
If your system is not in your living space you may not even be bothered by the noise though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store