Platinum Attempt

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
The platinums are pretty slow growing as well but tonight I saw the first signs of the fish maturing, they started tail slapping and lip locking. Currently just setting up dominance but a good sign that they are healthy and progressing. I've also noticed they are more finique eaters than the golds or the wilds. Those types go after everything in the tank where the platinums will take flake food unenthusiasticly but when frozen brine shrimp or mysis shrimp are dropped in the tank they can't get enough.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Hi, sorry for the hijack, will my gold male X with a normal give only gold genes?

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
Not a problem. Yes in theory you will get 100% gold gene fry, you would then need to cross them to another gold gene or a gold jack Dempsey if you were to want more gold jacks. I say in theory because in practice yankeejack has a thread where he had a gold cross with a blue and they somehow produced a single gold jack.

Reactions: justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
That's interesting, maybe one had a hidden gold or blue gene then?
So GG X GG will give what percentage gold by chance?

Dempski D.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Seattle
Wow!Allready at it. Putting the fish room to work!
All my pairs got babies too. Still cant tell if i got any blues/ blue gene parents... its pissing me off. Im starting tobthink i need to go buy an electric blue and start over with my golds

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
I understand that, I have been impatiently waiting for these two platinums to grow, I think they have only put on a half inch... the golds that were babies are bigger than they are now. Exact same feeding schedule and the plats get water changes on the same schedule as the discus.

Reactions: YankeeJack
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store