Freshwater Lurefishing Hong Kong

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I haven't yet but is that fish in tge furst photo some type of snakehead?

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
I haven't yet but is that fish in tge furst photo some type of snakehead?
Yes mate its a Striped Snakehead! And a very big one too! This size is considered massive over here and in many other places.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Nice catches! I'm most surprised and pleased to see another left handed fisherman, not many of us. Are there many species of Channa over there in the waterways? I've always heard they are good table fish (to eat)?

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
Nice catches! I'm most surprised and pleased to see another left handed fisherman, not many of us. Are there many species of Channa over there in the waterways? I've always heard they are good table fish (to eat)?
Over here, water quality is bad so no. Left hand all the way! There are 5 species of channa in our waterways. We have Channa maculata (native species), Channa asiatica (native species), Channa gachua (non native), Channa striata (non native), and Channa micropeltes (non native obviously). Most common species in the south is Channa striata, most common in the north is Channa maculata. Channa gachua is found mostly in the southern areas as well while the other small species Channa asiatica is found in the western areas within the mountain streams, they are also found in small populations around the south. Channa micropeltes are present in our reservoirs.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Thank you for taking the time to respond! That's great to learn. I would personally be fishing for the Gachua! :)

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond! That's great to learn. I would personally be fishing for the Gachua! :)
The gachua are tiny, biggest are probably only around 20 centimeters. Most aggressive species would be maculata, and the biggest is of course the micropeltes. However, the striata isn't far off.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I'm surprised to hear the maculata would be more aggressive than the micropeltes. I've only owned diplogramma and micropeltes in the past.

Are the maculata close in size?

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
I'm surprised to hear the maculata would be more aggressive than the micropeltes. I've only owned diplogramma and micropeltes in the past.

Are the maculata close in size?
Maculata are small, very small, the biggest sizes are still smaller than the striata. Maculata are incredibly aggressive, they bite down on anything and never let go.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store