arowana physical damage

divyesshyo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2017
My arowana just got injured (scale damage) while he was scared it's been more than 2hrs to this incident
I have added 2 capsule power of teramycin(250) into the water

about the incident-
(I had to take out the lid as I started to feel some burning smell from my lid seems like water has gone inside the lighting system of the lid i opened and took the lid outside
in this it got scared and started going here and there and it took few hits from the back end of lid )
going to get the lighting fixed within this week

i have pictures ready to post but as i m a new member i think rules don't allow me to share image url

what should i do next ?
how much time will it take to heal and for new scales to grow ?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I would add a big bag of carbon to remove that medication and do a large waterchange before your biological filtration gets wiped out and you have bigger problems to deal with. Keep your water clean and changed regularly and your aro will heal quickly without adding anything.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
For an injury try to keep away from medicines as much as possible, and like mentioned above, water change to keep the water clean and ammonia/nitrate/nitrite free, and adding aquarium salt should be enough. Additionally try to increase the temp to 1 more degree for few days. Do not use medicines unnecessarily.

Scales would grow back quickly, in a matter of few days. Do not worry. Most important is to keep the lid intact, Aro have tendency to jump out.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
you mean drop scale? Just keep up the water quality and it will grow back in a week or two but may take about a month or so before the scale color matches the rest of the body

no need any medication

Reactions: DN328 and tlindsey

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Terramycin is a broad spectrum antibacterial medication that will absolutely wipe out your bio. Should never be added to an aquarium for any reason. In extreme circumstances it can be used in a quarantine tank with no biofilter. If it's not removed fast with carbon and large waterchanges your in big trouble.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
added 2 capsule power of teramycin(250) into the water
add a big bag of carbon to remove that medication and do a large waterchange before your biological filtration gets wiped out and you have bigger problems to deal with.
Do not use medicines unnecessarily.
no need any medication
Terramycin is a broad spectrum antibacterial medication that will absolutely wipe out your bio. Should never be added to an aquarium for any reason
Hello; It seems the medication was not needed. My guess is you may be new to the hobby or at least new to the forum. Do you know what is being warned about with regard to the "biological filtration"? It is also sometimes called a "cycled" tank. Basically getting a culture of good bacteria to live in the tank. The medicine used can kill off these good bacteria and cause more serious problems than a lost scale.

divyesshyo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2017
ohk so what should i do now do a water change every 2days ?
as Bigfishnut said adding a big bag of carbon (unfortunately this is not possible ) any other solution ?
and yes i can add salt if that helps to remove the medicine clean from the tank
one more thing increasing the tank's temperature is also not possible (its a normal tank )
what should i do now do a wc ?
add salt ?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
ohk so what should i do now do a water change every 2days ?
as Bigfishnut said adding a big bag of carbon (unfortunately this is not possible ) any other solution ?
and yes i can add salt if that helps to remove the medicine clean from the tank
one more thing increasing the tank's temperature is also not possible (its a normal tank )
what should i do now do a wc ?
add salt ?
Hello; Interesting. You appear to still be focused on the injury and not on the very real possibility of the damage done by the medicine already added. If carbon is not possible then the next best thing will be water changes to try to dilute the antibiotic before it kills off all the good bacteria.
The more water changes = the better chance of stopping the medicine from killing the good bacteria. Every day. Twice a day. Three times in one day. Large water changes also.

It is my take that the salt and temperature change do not remove the antibiotic medicine. The salt and temp are a way to help the injury heal.

Another question; I can raise the temperature of any of my tanks. Why can't you raise the temp of a "normal tank"?

last thing; Water changes, Water changes, Water changes, Water changes and carbon if you can get it soon.

Reactions: eddiegunks

divyesshyo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2017
Hello; Interesting. You appear to still be focused on the injury and not on the very real possibility of the damage done by the medicine already added. If carbon is not possible then the next best thing will be water changes to try to dilute the antibiotic before it kills off all the good bacteria.
The more water changes = the better chance of stopping the medicine from killing the good bacteria. Every day. Twice a day. Three times in one day. Large water changes also.

It is my take that the salt and temperature change do not remove the antibiotic medicine. The salt and temp are a way to help the injury heal.

Another question; I can raise the temperature of any of my tanks. Why can't you raise the temp of a "normal tank"?

last thing; Water changes, Water changes, Water changes, Water changes and carbon if you can get it soon.
ok i got it so daily water change is mandatory and after wc adding salt everyday should be good enough i guess i can do that

about raising the temperature i am not sure as to how to do it do u mean adding warm water instead of normal ?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
1) do not add too much salt. the ratio of salt added subsequently should be equal to the amount of water changed and not total tank volume
2) You can raise the temperature by using a heater. google aquarium heater

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store