Filterless planted betta tank??

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
My betta is in a 10 gallon alone, if I got a good substrate a bunch of plants, heater, and decent light. Could I do a filterless tank for the lone male betta? Or is a filter and water movement a must? Of course I do weekly 30-50% w/c

Reactions: tlindsey

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Yeah it could work. Planted, light stock. But if you are planing on heat and lighting the tank. Why not a small filter?

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
No filter in a planted tank is possible but you'll be limited certain plants. I currently have a 110 gal tank set up in an enclosed patio with plenty of natural light. The setup has no lighting, no filter and no heater. I use it to grow out moss, anubias and java fern. Rotala rotundifolia is surprisingly doing well. Ludwigia and bacopas grew but slowly melted.

If you do not like surface movement, I'd go with a small canister filter where you can run the return spout well below the surface. I've seen small canisters intended for 5 gal tanks made by eheim and fluval. Afraid I do not know the model.

Reactions: Jag586

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
Why not use a small sponge filter with a 90° bend on the top of the lift tube. Just make sure the end of the bend is a few inches below the surface. Will still give some movement in the mid and lower water column and provide excellent biological filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store