how many plants do we need

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
I have a 110 gal without filtration and only natural light that houses two vieja hybrid cichlids. I'm growing java moss and java fern in the tank that apparently is giving off enough oxygen for them to survive and the water gets pretty warm in the summer.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Im not familiar in caring for any of your inhabitants but if your concern is in aerating the water, wouldn't your filtration be suffice?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I ran tanks without any filtration decades ago. This can be done with or without plants. A key is the surface area of the water where atmospheric O2 can diffuse into and out of the water. If the number/size of the fish is kept reasonable enough O2 will make it into the water. Too many fish and they will be found gasping at the surface trying to get the O2.

Plants do make O2 and a waste byproduct during photosynthesis during the lighted time. Plants can use oxygen during the dark time in the process of cellular respiration. Again a quandary solved by light fish stocking.

A simple air bubbler will solve the problem. I try to run them in all my tanks as a just in case.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I wont try this on my six fooot tanks too many cichlids and too big
Hello; I do not follow having big cichlids and a large tank as a reason to not use air bubbles. I ran air stones in a six foot tank in the past with good results. I also have run a bubbler of some sort on tanks with cichlids. In fact I run air bubbles in all tanks.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store