Betta tank, shrimp and snail compatibility

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
hi all

I just bought my wife a 5g for her bettas, i want to know if what kind of shrimp i can put in with them same as snail, im looking for a shrimp that dont grow and have some color.

Thank you.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
hi all

I just bought my wife a 5g for her bettas, i want to know if what kind of shrimp i can put in with them same as snail, im looking for a shrimp that dont grow and have some color.

Thank you.

Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 one member that may have some input convict360 convict360 .

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
hi all

Thank you.
Depending on your betta, they may or may not tolerate shrimp.

I've had moderate success with my halfmoon, who shares a 5g with a small colony of red neocaridina (cherries); however it isn't a large colony, and I suspect that he snacks on shrimplets on the fly despite me not having witnessed it directly.

Varieties such as the hmpk's can be a little more directly aggressive, but it really comes down to the fish' individual personality.

I'd recommend shrimp from the genus neocaridina, this includes (red, blue, snowball) etc, they only grow to an inch max, usually smaller

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Depending on your betta, they may or may not tolerate shrimp.

I've had moderate success with my halfmoon, who shares a 5g with a small colony of red neocaridina (cherries); however it isn't a large colony, and I suspect that he snacks on shrimplets on the fly despite me not having witnessed it directly.

Varieties such as the hmpk's can be a little more directly aggressive, but it really comes down to the fish' individual personality.

I'd recommend shrimp from the genus neocaridina, this includes (red, blue, snowball) etc, they only grow to an inch max, usually smaller
Thanks for the input:)

Reactions: convict360

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yeah, I've had some bettas ignore shrimp and others kill every one in sight. Cherries are a good start becasue they're inexpensive and not as sensitive to conditions as some of the others.

Provide lots of hiding spots if you want to try shrimp and that will increase your likelihood of at least some surviving. ;) Java moss is great, along with other plants/decor.

Nerite snails are pretty and appropriate for a tank that small. Not all snails are good for nano tanks.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Just avoid Zebra Nerite snails unless you have a large amount of algae and closed system...

In the past i'ved had some escape my tanks when they were void of algae for them to eat...

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
I have nerite snail and betta in a large bowl around 6-7 gallon and my betta is still pickin the snail ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store