Flowerhorn bent and floating

Flowery

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
India
I could not reply back to my post thread due to being new user, here's my answer to Lupin's detailed response.

Thank you Lupin and I really hope to get a quick treatment.
  1. Tank size - 29 gallons
  2. Parameters - NA
  3. Freshwater
  4. Set up for a year and a half
  5. Flowerhorn (male) alone in this OHF tank
  6. He has been with us for 1.5 years now
  7. 32 degrees
  8. Aquarium does not have live plants
  9. OHF and I do keep changing the fiber in OHF
  10. No other equipments other than Heater and Filter
  11. The aquarium is set in a corner. Does not get direct sunlight.
  12. I have been changing the 30-50% water daily since started with ParaClear treatment 2 days ago. As on routine days, change of water was biweekly.
  13. Feed 10-15 pellets of Humpy Head twice daily. Fish stopped feeding 4 days ago
  14. Fish turned greyish and started floating on a side since Saturday 9 Sept.
  15. Saturday due to the behavior and white stringy poo, the local aquarium shop guy gave ParaClear to be added in 3 batches; started from Monday 11 Sept. Monday night tried to feed some green peas - but he did not eat. Tuesday morning I gave a 10 min Epsom Salt bath. Tuesday night reduced water to 10 gallons, set up sponge filter for air and added Metrol.
  16. You are correct when you say that no proper information is found to treat a sick fish and I ended up with treatments suggested on Google and YouTube. We had him for 1.5 years and I am sick worried and do want him to get better. I did call Vets and no one so far treats a fish :(.
Please help Save him!

IMG_3890.JPG

IMG_3891.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would suggest lowering your temp to 26 deg Celsius.

Increase the water level and try to upright the fish. See if you can place a powerhead in front of it to increase circulation.

Would get and add some Epsom salt 1 tbsp per gallon to the tank. Get a broad spectrum abx (kanamycin, furan2, maracyn2 etc). Add some prazipro as well. Cross your fingers. Don't feed.

Watch your parameters as the abx will kill your beneficial bacteria. Please get a water test kit and check that water!

Flowery

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
India
Thank you so much.

My question is how much of broad spectrum antibiotics shall I add? Can you give the measure in mg/gallon?

How much of prazipro do I add?

Do I fill up entire 29 gallon tank?

How do I upright the fish? Everytime I try to flip its side to comfort him - he rolls over or flips to the bent side :( looking at it I feel need to lower water down to lay him on bottom of the tank. Please advise.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The meds are all dosed per the gallon of your tank.

I have a ceramic cave with zip ties and suction cups which I use to kee fish in. See what you can do if able. If not able then that's fine.

So would fill up the tank and try to get decor/plants to wedge the fish and keep the fish upright. If your able to get a powerhead and aim at the fish To get some current and oxygen.

Dose with meds I've suggested in order of what is available for you. Add Epsom salt and hope it gets better.

Reactions: Flowery

Flowery

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
India
I did add Broad Spectrum abx and filled up the tank and reduced temperature to 26 degrees. I could find a medical store thats 24x7 to fetch some Epsom salt. The bent looks sore to me like an injury now - poor thing. What can I do to reduce his pain? See photo

Morning I can set up powerhead and ceramic cave, plants - but what do I do now to keep him upright.

Will you have a photo of how the cave set up works?

IMG_3902.JPG

IMG_3904.JPG

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not much to reduce the pain.

Do you have anything to prop him up or wedge him against the glass? That would help to make the fh more comfortable.

I must admit it doesn't look well.

Flowery

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
India
Thank you Ron for all your help.

I don't have anything right now to wedge him however I will be able to get it in the morning. It post midnight here.

Will I be able to restrict his movement and help fix bent by setting up cave setup that holds him firmly, holds him in a favorable position.

I was watching him for some time post BSA medicines and Epsom. Is there a chance for him to be better?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You may restrict its movement abit. If it's this sick then it may not move much at all. Big thing is to keep it upright as it stressed out being on its side. That stress really doesn't allow them to recover. Won't eat etc.

The bend won't be fixed by physical compression. Looking at the fish it has bloat. The Epsom salt and abx will help with this. It'll take days to recover if it makes it.

Reactions: Flowery

Flowery

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2017
India
Thank you! Will keep you updated. You have been a big help. I hope he gets better.

Last question - Epsom salt stays in the tank for tonight right? Or was it for 30min bath only? Do I add it every day for next few days along with abx after 30% change of water?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Add it one time then leave in atleast 48hrs. It'll work immediately or it won't work at all.

You can do a bath but better to treat in the tank.

Try doing a 50% water change based on water parameters if needed. Then readjust the abx to the amount removed. Easier for the math.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store