Possible cichild species for outdoor tub

Mattsfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Hello, im 16 and I have been bitten by the cichild bug.
I have my own experience with in the aquarium hobby but nothing yet with cichilds due to speace restrictions. Until a couple of days ago when I bought a black rubber-maid tub with the dimensions of L:36'', W: 19'', H: 17'' give or take, It says that it is a 50 gallon tub.
My plan is to keep this tank/tub outside for a small scale breeding project (due to the abundance of mosquitos and insects here in south Florida) Air temperatures don't go over the warm 80's to cool 90's, but my 20 gl Betta fry tub has a temperature more or less of 87 ish (in hot days) on the surface and low 80's F towards the bottom. I would imagine this will be less of a change in a bigger tank.
At first, like many young aquarist, I thought of buying one nice oscar but later sitting down seriously I decided not to fall in the same mistake as many people. After thinking it through and having done extensive research, I reached a point where I need a few pointer and advice on this topic, feel free to post comments, suggestions/ help full links, and cichild species.
My requirements are the following :
*I would like a species of cichild that is good at community breeding, or at least two pair or more in a tub.

* something that can be bred easily, although I do like a little bit of a challenge but not overboard.

* bigginer to midium cichild if possible

*soft water fish, due to rain sometimes filling my tubs (although I could try Africans but need advice for that)

Don't be restricted on these "needs" I am willing to do extra water changes for example to get an adequate environment for a cichlid specie you might have in mind.

I've done research on a few species like kribs and convicts, but they are so territorial that the dominant pair would bully and sterss out the others.
Thank you for your responses in advance.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
If you do water changes with hard Florida water I doubt the water gets that soft when it rains. To be honest kribs and convicts would probably be fine with two pairs. I really think you should be looking at a single pair in that tub with most CA/SA cichlids available. Lemon fire mouths would be cool, Mayans, Honduran red points, siquia are all all good picks. Angels or severums could work well in there. I really think if you want a group of CA/SA you need to be looking a dwarf cichlids. Apistos, dwarf pikes, and rams are all good choices. Nanoluteus, or Chetumalensis could work as well.

If you are open to Africans you can go with brichardi. A pair with some rocks would fill the tub with fry. A group of shell dwellers is another awesome idea. You could look at a group of cyprichromis, or some nice haps like the ruby greens.

Toss in a few livebearers in my experience cichlids don't wipe out mosquitoes as a good a you expect.

Reactions: J. H.

Mattsfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Wow! amazing fish FLA and Chub_by
I quite like the rainbow cichild and maybe the ruby greens

How many rainbow pairs would I be able to accommodate in my tank?

Thanks again for the awesome responses, if I would of left it with out asking here I would of picked firemouths or kribs.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I agree I like the rainbow idea as well. They are uncommon enough that you probably won't have trouble getting rid of fry. I would probably put 4-5 fish in there and see if you get a pair. I know it is always tempting to put more and more fish in there. Honestly once they start spawning you will have more fish than you know what to do with. I like to keep a big ball of Java moss in my breeding tanks because it gives fry a great place to hide once they are big enough to be seen as a threat by parents. It also makes them easy to remove because you will get most of the fry by scooping up the moss.

If you want a dither which I recommend I would go with a livebearer like a sword or molly. Other options would be Florida flag fish or Australian rainbows. All are hardy enough to take the conditions. Make sure you put this thing in the shade. They will cook in the open if it isn't raining everyday.

Will you have a filter on this?

Mattsfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Yes absolutely, 2 sponge filters and wait a couple of days while the fish are in quarantine so it cycle. In the mean time I could measure the tank to see get a feel of the normal readinsgs of the tank.

One last thing, rainbow cichilds are a "passive" species right, meaning I can keep two pairs with out them destroying each other ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store