Fish prices ~ Australia vs the world

Rodders02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Perth, Australia
Haha

Hoplarchus psittacus are around $80 when they pop up. But we can’t get species like haitiensis, RTM and grammodes here.

Motoro’s have dropped in price a lot recently. You can get a male pup for around $300, slightly more for females. Leopoldi’s are usually upwards of $7k for a pup.

Reactions: Cowturtle

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I agree!!! I live in Hong Kong and property prices here are worse than Singapore...

But car prices a little bit cheaper...
But hong Kong city parking is so expensive , I heard residential parking lot is a separate purchase?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
But but.. you have Tung Choi street!
Honestly Tung Choi St is not even half as good as it was 10yrs ago...

So much has changed and from basically a full street of independant stores selling everything from your common gold fish to the most expensive aros, its now become a lot of chain stores selling equipment or restaurants & pet shops for our furrier friends...

Now there are only really 2-3 shops i can count on to randomly bring is very rare hard tonfind fish (even then only one does it semi regularly, the other 2 are hit and miss) VS at least 8-10 i knew of 10yrs ago...

But hong Kong city parking is so expensive , I heard residential parking lot is a separate purchase?
Yes that is also true, if you are in the city, expect to pay around USD 8-10 an hour for parking (if you are lucky enough to find a parking lot thats empty that is...)

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I agree!!! I live in Hong Kong and property prices here are worse than Singapore...

But car prices a little bit cheaper...

So much has changed and from basically a full street of independant stores selling everything from your common gold fish to the most expensive aros, its now become a lot of chain stores selling equipment or restaurants & pet shops for our furrier friends...

Now there are only really 2-3 shops i can count on to randomly bring is very rare hard tonfind fish (even then only one does it semi regularly, the other 2 are hit and miss) VS at least 8-10 i knew of 10yrs ago...

Yes that is also true, if you are in the city, expect to pay around USD 8-10 an hour for parking (if you are lucky enough to find a parking lot thats empty that is...)

Well the good thing is china is just next door... lol

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----

Well the good thing is china is just next door... lol
Oh and yeah, residential parking is very tricky especially in newer building developments, since they like to build say 200 units, but may only provide 50 car parks for sale...

As for the China bit, yeah it is next door but its not that easy to bring fish back...

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
There is always greener grass...
Tung Choi street is still a one of a kind place.
10 years back they tried to start another place like it in Tai Koo but tanked really quick. HK Aquarium Plaza. Would have been cool.

Well the Mongkok area changes every time I visit. I also buy plastic model stuff there. Half the stores are gone.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
There is always greener grass...
Tung Choi street is still a one of a kind place.
10 years back they tried to start another place like it in Tai Koo but tanked really quick. HK Aquarium Plaza. Would have been cool.

Well the Mongkok area changes every time I visit. I also buy plastic model stuff there. Half the stores are gone.
Aquarium plaza was a really great place while it lasted, i knew a few store owners there and actually am friendly with the sole surviving store in that mall...

Times have changed and as with most LFS' around the world, it really is the bread and butter fish that make money, not so much the exotic oddballs no one knows how to keep...

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Aquarium plaza was a really great place while it lasted, i knew a few store owners there and actually am friendly with the sole surviving store in that mall...

Times have changed and as with most LFS' around the world, it really is the bread and butter fish that make money, not so much the exotic oddballs no one knows how to keep...
i may be wrong but i always thought hardware is where the money is made.... at least in singapore...

because the common fishes are so cheap i can't imagine how they can earn from there, taking into account, food, medicine, water change, quarantine, some deaths etc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store