The Use of Probiotics in Aquaculture

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hendre .... there are numerous products made for the aquarium trade, but the purpose of this discussion was to demonstrate that one can purchase similar products designed for the non aquarium trade, such as for septic systems, for a tiny fraction of the price. What you posted to was just a couple of more products designed for the aquarium trade, and sold at a LFS. There is no shortage of those kinds of product$.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ah alright. These are extremely cheap here though. And for my small scale use may work?

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Hey All!

Is anyone still doing this? I' myself have been doing it for just over a month (once a week) and cant really tell if it's helping, but figure I'll keep going at least until this box of ridx is gone.

I tried 1 time before and think I overdosed (10 inch RD started developing weird sores along top fin) so now I'm being a bit more cautious and "under-dosing".

Anyway, no nitrate changes, stays around 40 as usual, filters *might* be a bit cleaner running, hard to tell as I did just swap out an FX4 for an FX6 on the 75.

Just checking in to see if anything new had been discovered....

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Thank you RD!

I start dosing my tank with septobac late last year. I believe in the positive probiotic effect and was intrigued with what it might mean for my canisters. I run 2 FX 5's and an Ehiem 2217 on a very heavily overstocked 180 each filter is cleaned every 6 months with a one month gap between each ones cycle.

Well today I cracked open one of the FX 5's for its 6 month cleaning. Typically the foam pads are quite heavy with sludge.

The picture below says it all!!

View attachment 1247221
Wow!

Guess I'll Keep on using it for a bit then!

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Another thing.... I just happened to think about when back in the day (late 80's early 90's) when I used to use a product made by "Aquatronics" called "Bacter-Plus" that had a "bran-like" material and little dripper bottle of a chemical "activator" (probably ammonia)that you would mix together in a cup, let it sit a bit, then add to your tank.

Anyone else remember or ever use that as well? Wonder if it's kin-of the same type of thing?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, same type of product, most are. Most are probiotic blends of naturally occurring heterotrophic bacteria and enzymes that are designed to digest organic sludge such as fish waste, food particles, and various other decaying organic matter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store