HELP: L046 / ZEBRA Sex ID

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
have this pair and wondering if I may need a female. Top zebra was bought a MALE and confirmed, but the one below I'm doubtful of being a girl. Not as hairy as the male though. Bottom Zebra is about 5-6cm and estimated to be 3-4years old. Appreciate your thoughts on the sex of the bottom zebra.image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG

Dis

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2010
Hamilton, ON
I would think it's a female. Top definitely looks like a male.

The bottom fish seems to have a larger mid section which would indicate female.

Goodluck on getting them to breed

Reactions: litigator666

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
is there a way to use a magnifying glass to determine the sex? The bottom zebra recently took a cave and the male keeps on roaming around the tank. A few months back, they are doing the opposite.

Im confused.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
is there a way to use a magnifying glass to determine the sex? The bottom zebra recently took a cave and the male keeps on roaming around the tank. A few months back, they are doing the opposite.

Im confused.
Males normally hide in a cave. Could be the other one hasn't found a spot.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Ive read about that caving behaviour, but getting more confused.

The top zeb has his own cave that he hangs out - he seldom wander around. Now he vacated it and roams around with the bottom zebra taking another cave and stays there halfway with tail hanging out. Before, the bottom zebra just wander around the tank.

I may need to hunt for a female then if i would be breeding these. Thanks all for the advice.

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
I would think it's a female. Top definitely looks like a male.

The bottom fish seems to have a larger mid section which would indicate female.

Goodluck on getting them to breed
yes good luck

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Looks to be a pair based on body and head shape as Dis Dis said. Males typically inhabit caves head in and females would rather not take a cave but if they do, they go in backwards and face out. What are yours doing?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Hmmm...that's interesting behavior as my females almost never go head first into a cave with their tails sticking out. That's a male"s behavior as they often stick their tails out and wave it as a flag trying to attract a female. The only time I ever saw a female enter a cave head in was my dominant alpha female who occasionally does that but only briefly. It is my male's that consistently stick their heads in for long periods of time, constantly cleaning their caves and waving their tails.

The proportions of your fish look to be male and female but then again, that smalller fish could be a really well-fed and chubby juvenile male. The top fish is classically male and has all the identifiable features but then again, he is a lot bigger, making it easier to sex.

The odontodes don't matter so much until breeding time. My males are not overly hairy until breeding time when their pectorals grow long bushy odontodes. Afterwards, they seem to fall off or recede and there isn't a marked difference. Females have tiny odontodes and are not completely hairless.

Also, I highly doubt that the smaller zebra is a mature 3-4 year old as you presume since you say it is only 5-6cm. My females are almost 3 years old and they are about 8cm or about 3" or more. My male's are the same age and about 9cm+ and still have a bit of growing to do.

Lots of breeders sell off males so it's best to be patient and buy young 1.5inch zebras that are not sexable and grow them out for the best chances. If you find a mature female for sale, you are lucky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store