What is this

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Scars are scars, some go away over the course of years but I don't think that will be the case, the tissue that's scarred I don't think will grow with him though so as he gets bigger they'll appear smaller hopefully. As far as medicating I've got no worthy input.

RD. RD. Aquanero Aquanero

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Looks like he has whole in head the disease
It was a number of items. My final diagnosis was hole in the head caused by voltage leakage and then columnaris which I don't know how he got it. He is treated now and seems to be healing well.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Some pics are in the thread linked below. Trying to keep that thread updated and let this one die as this was focused on his treatment and the other will be treated as the journal of me keeping him. I need to get some lights installed on the 180g so I can take proper pics which hopefully will be this weekend. The damage from the columnaris is still there and has only healed slightly. If the tank is very dark, his coloration is dark and the wounds are more apparent. When he was in the 40g that had no gravel or background you could barely see them because he was much lighter.

The wounds do seem be healing slowly and the holes for HITH are completely gone. When I had him in the 40g for the move I treated him with Seachem stressguard that I think helped. Now that hes in the 180g with auto drip its not feasible to treat him. I am hoping the auto drip and healthy diet lead to the wounds becoming not noticeable over time.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/one-more-try-another-amaira.683815/page-4

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
On the bright side, the scars make him look badass..
Glad he healed up.. You did a good job bringing him back
Did my best. Biggest worry is that the scars and holes have not fully healed and therefore he’s more likely to have it come back.

Water-wolves

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2018
Predatory-fish
Did my best. Biggest worry is that the scars and holes have not fully healed and therefore he’s more likely to have it come back.
I've had a similar experience with geos. What i did to fully cured the hith in the long run was to scrape or surgically dig the holes out somewhat bigger with a scalpel and then fill the holes with the proper meds. Geos are somewhat docile so didn't need to sedate but for a wolf with sharp teeth beware, i would appoach with caution.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great thread and great job, bro. Read it all with attention.

If what I have been seeing with my fish is indeed columnaris, yours might not have been it because I see usually bad swelling and some mild redness here and there on a fish.

But there are 4 strains of columnaris and some act from the outside while others on the inside or so I read - https://www.myaquariumclub.com/colu...out-the-types-causes-and-treatments-1689.html

My take is cautious on the diagnosis. It may or may be not HITH followed by a bacterial infection that may or may not be columnaris.

But the fact that the general antiparasitic treatment followed by the general antibacterial treatment worked appears solid.

It's hard to say whether the antiparasitic treatment was necessary but the antibacterial was absolutely necessary.

Thank you for the link and for this thread.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thank you. Yeah I was worried so I went shotgun approach. Very upsetting because I thought all along my rhom died from HITH but pretty sure it was the voltage leakage that lead to hit death, then my first aimara, and then the gatf.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store