Glass thickness for plywood tank build.

Mbuna_Territory

Feeder Fish
Sep 20, 2017
I tried using the GARF, but no help as the tank i want to build is 10' long. 10'x2x2. My question is simple what thickness of glass for this build. From most of my research im seeing 1/2 plate glass as being sufficient seeing as this tank will only be 2' tall. Thoughts? Thanks.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Yup. 2 feet tall would need 12 mm (~1/2 inch.) Keep in mind that the calculators assume "appropriate or standard" bracing. In a tank that long, I think it would assume perhaps a couple braces maybe at the 1/3 and the 2/3 point from one end to the other.

Also keep in mind that it assumes the glass is in standard condition. Glass that was used in store fronts, for example, and subjected to hot and cold weather for 5 years, would not be considered in standard condition. Nor does the glass have to be made by the best glass makers known.

Reactions: kno4te

Mbuna_Territory

Feeder Fish
Sep 20, 2017
Yup. 2 feet tall would need 12 mm (~1/2 inch.) Keep in mind that the calculators assume "appropriate or standard" bracing. In a tank that long, I think it would assume perhaps a couple braces maybe at the 1/3 and the 2/3 point from one end to the other.

Also keep in mind that it assumes the glass is in standard condition. Glass that was used in store fronts, for example, and subjected to hot and cold weather for 5 years, would not be considered in standard condition. Nor does the glass have to be made by the best glass makers known.
Okay, thank you for your input. I know this is a question asked all to often. I tried researching using garf and other calculators and came up with alot Of different results. I guess im looking more for opinion, and others experience.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I see. I haven't built a tank but, as you said, this comes up a lot and people who build tanks thankfully chime in quite often. If you want to ask specifics like how to adhere the items or which paint / epoxy / rubber / silicone etc. to use, I will be reading, not posting.

Glass thickness is fairly straightforward unless you want to go thinner than what calculators suggest.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store