Our Friend Viktor (thebiggerthebetter)

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Just found out that after 9 days without, his power is now back on!! Very good news indeed...

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

Video update from vicktor, quite a lot of damage but fish are well, could've been much worse.
Fantastic video right here, take the time to watch it all, amazing fish tour at the end.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
He's doing ok.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you all, guys! Especially Kirk Yellowcat. I really didn't expect nor deserve so much loving, haha... But your support means a whole lot to me.

I apologize for keeping you in suspense.

Thanks to Justin for posting my video. Some wordage:

The front wall of the eye of Category 3 hurricane Irma hit us front and square Sept 10, 2017 around 2 pm. Around 4 pm it got all quiet - the 20-mile wide eye center was traveling over Naples for an hour. Then the weaker back wall continued the battering.

Sustained winds of ~120 miles per hour (~190 km/h) with gusts up to ~140 miles per hour (~225 km/h).

We are ok, most fish are ok. Had 2-3 losses so far. Lots and lots of property damage but structurally everything held up.

I'm narrating the video but if it's hard to hear me over our obnoxiously loud but life-saving generator, I apologize.

All in all, we had been 9 days without power. Just my 7000 running-watts generator. Had to fill it every 7 hours with 5 gal of gasoline. Used ~$50 of gasoline a day at $2.70 a gallon. The first 5 days had to spend ~2 hours in gas lines. Then it got much better.

The generator ran

-- ten 360 watt 5000 GPH pumps
-- one 150 watt 3000 GPH pump
-- fridge and two freezers
-- several lights, laptops
-- a fan (to fall asleep in a 95 F, 75% humidity house)

Not enough power to run the well, RO filters, etc, or supply house with water. So I've just bought another generator, this one rated at 12,000 running watts.

A lot of work ahead. That will delay our opening by a few months for sure, if not half a year.

Good news to hear. Such a shame what's happened over there.
Thanks, bro, yet I don't view it as shame. There is a price to pay for everything. IMHO, we have no privilege to cherry pick and welcome only fortunes and groan over misfortunes of any place where we chose to live. We knew it going in and moving to FL that statistically, once in 10 years we'd get a big one, as well as have close calls and far calls with other hurricanes. It's never been a question of if but of when.

But I understand what you're saying, the emotion of it, I guess... although I aim and try not to think like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store