Plywood tub that can be used in winter temperatures?

Matacks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hello, first post here. I've been thinking about an upgraded tank for my goldfish. Actually I want it to be more of a tub.

I basically want to make the plywood aquarium similar to what Joey of DIY fishkeepers made.

So the basic plan for now is 8' x 3' x 2' height. This would give 375 gallons.
I'd be ommiting the glass veiwing panel and just painting the entire thing with that rubber or expoxy pond sealant type stuff.

The main thing I'm concerned about is expansion and contration and this causing leaking. The filtration would probably be canisters and I want it to have bottom drains.. kinda like koi ponds.

Does anyone think this idea could be feasible or have any ideas how to pull this off successfully?

Matacks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2017
I think they're getting a little large for the 72 bowfront. They're starting to exceed 6" in length. Hahaha

Screenshot_20170921-105215.png

IMG_20170920_084414.jpg

Last edited:

Matacks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2017
Well, I'm just going to go ahead and answer my own question. I did some research. I think a firestone pond liner will be the best way to waterproof the plywood tub.

I know epoxy could become brittle in fluxuating temperatures.

There is stuff called herco rubber pond coating that is a rubber type material that gets painted on but that could not work out if it peels.

So, rubber pond liner may end up having a few unsightly ripples but it should be flexible enough to withstand freezing temperatures. As I want to keep my goldfish in the garage over the winter.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I think you'd get great feedback from the Ponds/ Outdoor Ponds or the DIY Project and Ideas section.

This seems a good fit for either of them, and some of the people who spend a lot of time there have probably built a dozen of these. Plus lots of people have used unheated garages, so certainly a lot more input to your plans.

Good luck and I'll be reading...

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
If you aren't adding a viewing window and are flexible on the dimensions, stock tanks are cheap and reliable.

IMG_20171006_085825.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store