channa and water changes

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
when i first bought my rainbow snakehead I didnt do a water change for almost 7months the parameters were ok as the tank was heavily planted . But after a few months the plants did'nt seem to be doing too well and there was a massive outbreak of algae I now do monthly changes and algae is down I have recently been doing weekley water changes on my pulchra tank as I posted previously that his tail was shredded I now think he is damaging his tail trying to burrow into the substrate as I found a crater in the substrate and I filled it in the next day it was there again I also caught him burrowing under a large peice of bog wood . So would the weekly water changes bother him as I am doing this to try speed up the healing of his tail

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
What's the tank size and dimensions?

To help him have a speedy recovery, I would say water changes is a must. I would do at least 20-30% water change weekly. I don't think it should bother him, I always do a weekly water change for my fish (sometimes once in 2 weeks) and they don't mind.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
What's the tank size and dimensions?

To help him have a speedy recovery, I would say water changes is a must. I would do at least 20-30% water change weekly. I don't think it should bother him, I always do a weekly water change for my fish (sometimes once in 2 weeks) and they don't mind.
That doesn't work with channas.
Channas require air to breath, and therefore don't need nor appreciate clean water as much as other fishes.
With bleheris and aurantis, I did a twice yearly water change schedule.
With how planted your tank should be, there is no way you get an outburst of algae. Must have been some food stuck under something.

In fact, weekly water changes are a no-no for channas. It's kind of required for the tropical species because of their year round activity and the fact they are heavily piscivorous, compared to sub-trop species who are almost strictly insectivorous in the wild, and therefore make much less of a mess.

They dislike water changes and they hate their territory to be moved around. So don't touch anything almost ever. If they burrow, leave the hole in the sand. :)

You can do a light syphon every other month if you want to be safe, but make sure you do it calmly, not rushing to avoid sudden movement around your channa.

Reactions: carnicana and Ed204

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
Oh once I filled in the crater he made another one in same spot I did'nt thing the pulchra was a digger I think the burrowing under the bog wood may have damaged his tail as the damage appeared over night and the rest of his fins are undamaged

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
That doesn't work with channas.
Channas require air to breath, and therefore don't need nor appreciate clean water as much as other fishes.
With bleheris and aurantis, I did a twice yearly water change schedule.
With how planted your tank should be, there is no way you get an outburst of algae. Must have been some food stuck under something.

In fact, weekly water changes are a no-no for channas. It's kind of required for the tropical species because of their year round activity and the fact they are heavily piscivorous, compared to sub-trop species who are almost strictly insectivorous in the wild, and therefore make much less of a mess.

They dislike water changes and they hate their territory to be moved around. So don't touch anything almost ever. If they burrow, leave the hole in the sand. :)

You can do a light syphon every other month if you want to be safe, but make sure you do it calmly, not rushing to avoid sudden movement around your channa.
Oh alright, I didn't know snakeheads are quite different to other fish needs wise.

Reactions: carnicana

Gazham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
England
I water change about 30%, 4 times a year, the water looks and smells too bad for me otherwise.
If you don't like the digging, you might be able to minimise the digging if you make plenty of caves, this has worked in the past for me. Water changes simulate the rainy seasons and snow melt from at the beginning of the warm season, so they are important.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
Ok I bought a large piece of bog wood yesterday 16" the shape of it will make some great caves but it will mean re arranging part of the tank . what about filter maintenance as I clean out the filter once a month and loose about 12 liters water which i presume I would have to top up

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Ok I bought a large piece of bog wood yesterday 16" the shape of it will make some great caves but it will mean re arranging part of the tank . what about filter maintenance as I clean out the filter once a month and loose about 12 liters water which i presume I would have to top up
Depending on the season, water levels rise and fall. I wouldn't bother topping up depending on when you do it.

But I must say I forgot when it has to go down and when it has to go up. ;)

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
It is on here somewhere I think in the snake head keeping conditions ok no more water changes for a while then for both my bleheri and pulchra tanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store