L24 coloration?

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I've been wanting to get an L24 to add to my collection. As I'm currently running a 150gallon, I try to start most of my plecos off small.

All of the small L24s I've seen around have very little if any red coloration to theirs fins/tail. Am i correct in assuming this comes with age?

Was going to purchase one that I missed which had very bright red lobes to the top and bottom of it's tail but the main tail was still very dark. That fish was ~4"

Recently came across another thats about 4". This looks like it's sort of a 7 pointer. Reddish color to all fins and tail. Oddly the red in this one is more of a reddish brown. Very similar to my L137, and not what I'm used to seeing on the L24. Think rusty as opposed to bright red.

My concern in getting one with just bits of red when small is that I've seen plenty of large L24 with not a lot of red on them. As such, I really don't know how their coloration changes as they grow.

I've also seen pictures of tiny ones with full bright red tails and fins. If that's what I want in an adult do I need to just wait until I find a small one with that sort of coloration?

Any input from those of you who've grown them out would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I've seen some with straight trailer on their tails and other that're all zigzagged (for lack of a better term). Why is this and can crooked ones straighten out?

Thanks!

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Appreciate the input. Really just wondering if they grow the red fins/tail as they age or if they're born with them.

Most of the young fish I've seen in person have been pretty drab, though I've seen pictures of very colorful one. I've also seen huge adults with amazing color and some with very little. Trying to figure out what to look for in young fish, do I need to find one with lots of color at a small size to ensure a colorful adult?

Thanks again.

7Pete

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2014
Suomi
Some pleco "species" individuals coloration can vary a lot. Some can be dull grey and some may have bright high contrast coloration. "High quality" specimens can cost many times more than duller ones. As said above some have an additional/different sale name to describe it's quality like "super red" etc. Pleco coloration do change over age and it's not certain what kind of pleco it will be, but usually they get a bit duller with age. I would consider you to wait for a specimen that satisfy you and buy it.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Went ahead and got one. Found a beautiful little one, about 2". Appears to be a 7 - pointer thought it's pectoral fins also seem to change color depending on mood. If it ever comes out of hiding I'll take a pic to share. My other cactus plecos really only ever came out of hiding when they hit ~4". Might be a while...

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
Havent really seen many L24 that are not 7 pointers. But they show it from a small size, dont know what size exactly but a, lets say, 6¨ L24 or also L25 should definitely show that he/she is a 7 pointer.

The nice deep red comes with age, that is true.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store