Canister and temperature

MCL169

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
NY
I'm looking to upgrade and get a canister filter for my 55 gallon. I wanted to know the easiest way to control the temperature in the tank. Is there a canister with built in heater/chiller or away to run something in line with canister? That way I can remove the heater from tank and have more room. Any advice or input welcomed.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
There are in line heaters, you just have to find one that matches your hose diameter.

MCL169

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
NY
Ok so I'm guessing after I pick the canister I then choose a the in line heater by tube diameter?

MCL169

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
NY
As James has mentioned, there are in-line heaters that connect to the return of your canister. If you don't find one that matches your filter return tube, you can always use some adapters to get it in.

Check this link out:

http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11369
Thanks. I see now. I'll shop for canister then get the inline. Looking at a fx5 or something comparable. I'm wondering if I could use a aquarium safe sealant for connections.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Would probably be better to go with an eheim that has the heater compartment built in, otherwise you will have to change FX tubing to Vinyl (1in) then reduce to 5/8 on return, plus get 1in intake and 5/8 return (I've done it, not "hard" but requires multiple parts, and some mechanical aptitude).

MCL169

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
NY
Eheim with compartment for heater sounds interesting but models I was are pricey. Would any heater go? Mine is about 10in. Filers with dependable heater would be ideal but I can do some light modifications on a canister and inline heater.

Last edited:

MCL169

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
NY
Eheim with compartment for heater sounds interesting but models I was are pricey. Would any heater go? Mine is about 10in. Filers with dependable heater would be ideal but I can do some light modifications on a canister and inline heater.
This is another option

Screenshot_2017-09-25-00-38-09.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store