What is your biggest pet peeve about your LFS?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
My biggest pet peeve for some of the big franchises like Petsmart,Petco, and Petsuppliesplus is the lack of education of what to feed their fish. All fish species don't eat flakes. I always see for example Polypterus not being properly cared for.
At one chain type store the GSPs are kept in FW and literally hollow stomached. It's horrible

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

My biggest pet peeve for some of the big franchises like Petsmart,Petco, and Petsuppliesplus is the lack of education of what to feed their fish. All fish species don't eat flakes. I always see for example Polypterus not being properly cared for.
You are 100 percent correct. I always see my Pet supplies Plus feeding flakes to the fish. They were throwing a crap ton of flakes into a tank with Polypterus, Knifefish, and eels and none of the fish were eating them and all the flakes sank to the bottom and they didn't get it afterwards. There only saving grace is their prices, the fish are cheap up here or atleast my Pet Supplies Plus. The fish often times are healthy too.
You can get a senegal or albino sengal bichir for 9.99 or an ornate for 15.99 or a delhezi for 19.99, fire eel 20.99, etc.

Reactions: tlindsey

Zanson

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2017
O Christ will you guys get a room and hash it out there? FFS it's annoying drama and off topic.

I can't stand the big box stores around us. Their fish always look sick and it's a shame.

My LFS is right down the street though, and my wife works for them so I get to know of all the good stuff coming in.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
At one chain type store the GSPs are kept in FW and literally hollow stomached. It's horrible
I hate seeing that too. Their fins are always so torn up from being housed in a tiny 5gl with at least 5 others. I think they look so starved because they only feed them flakes if they even feed them at all:( gsp don't eat flakes, yet that's what their info tag says to give them too.
I just saw an ad on my local cl selling a handful of gsp. They all look so skinny. I'm sure it's because the owner is feeding what the store said to give them. Flakes. *facepalm*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store