Bolivian ram community

Jglenn213

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2016
usa
Thinking about setting up a 40 gallon breeder with a pair of bolivian rams and a community of tetras and such.
I'm new to keeping tropical community fish. Not sure what all is compatible. I'd like to have good contrasting color and movement in all areas of the tank. I've picked out a few species that I like and all seem mostly peaceful and schooling. Any input on what out of these will work well together in a 40 breeder? I'd like to have several different species if possible.

Adolfo corydoras
Sterbai corydoras
Lemon tetras
Rummynose tetras
Black and normal neon tetras
Rosy danios
Harlequin rasboras
Cherry barbs
Forktail blue eye rainbowfish

Reactions: tlindsey

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
A Bolivian Ram community tank could work.

I would replace the neon Tetras with Cardinals though, they would be more temp compatible with the Rams. You could have 2 schools of fish in there, Cardinals and Black Neons.

How about this stocking?
2x Bolivian Ram
6-8x Cardinal Tetra 6-8x Black Neon Tetra OR 6-8 Harlequin Rasboras 6-8 Cherry Barbs
6-8x Corydoras Sterbai

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
You could mix and match when it comes to the schooling fish, but personally I think Cardinals and Black neons would be cool.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thinking about setting up a 40 gallon breeder with a pair of bolivian rams and a community of tetras and such.
I'm new to keeping tropical community fish. Not sure what all is compatible. I'd like to have good contrasting color and movement in all areas of the tank. I've picked out a few species that I like and all seem mostly peaceful and schooling. Any input on what out of these will work well together in a 40 breeder? I'd like to have several different species if possible.

Adolfo corydoras
Sterbai corydoras
Lemon tetras
Rummynose tetras
Black and normal neon tetras
Rosy danios
Harlequin rasboras
Cherry barbs
Forktail blue eye rainbowfish

Tbh I don't k know much about the blue eye rainbow fish but anything else from your list should be fine.

Reactions: Toiletcar

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
You could do the the forkeye Rainbows with another group of schooling fish if you'd like. Just did a quick search on the web

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
Tbh I don't k know much about the blue eye rainbow fish but anything else from your list should be fine.
Just remember to keep it only 2 groups of schooling fish though lol.

Ed204

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2017
Yes you are correct or either one shoal of the same species.
Yup one school of the same species would work better honestly.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Actually, Neons would be far better temp wise for the Bolivians than the Cardinals. You are thinking the high temp Blue Rams that cardinals are better for. Skip the cories if you care about breeding the rams, otherwise they are fine. Black neons come from the same area as the bolivans btw.

edit: Rummynose also prefer the higher temps so I'd leave them out. Lemons come from them too, but are far more adaptable than cardinals or rummies are.

Last edited:

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Agreed with darth pike

Bolivians are typically found in bolivia (imagine that) and south eastern brazil where the waters are much cooler than the waters where cardinal tetras are found. If you want corydoras, then you shouldn't be limited as most of the corydoras should have plenty of temp overlap with the rams.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store