New pickup - Tigrinus

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Tried tilapia again and this time the tig when crazy. Went all over the tank looking for tilapia

I think he ate some prawns too... at last I see a slight bulge in his stomach

20170926_230014.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Just don't overfeed. Its not necessary at all. Even feeding every other day is fine. He will be ok. Over feeding them and giving them a bulged out belly is not good for the animal
Any well experienced tig keeper will tell u the same thing. I have a 2ft+ tig and feed every other day along with the other big fish. If i do daily feeds, itz only a few pieces of cut fish or a few pellets, that's it. Remember in the wild they dont eat daily so recreating the same in captivity is conducive to growing them out properly. They are not glutinous fish, like rtc and the sorts. Also stay away from any "seafoods" until 12"+. for some strange reason they dont metabolize foods from saltwater well.and actually can be harmful. Stick to cut freshwater fish and pellets. Once it reaches a ft+, u can attempt shrimp and such. Maintain pristine water perameters and alot of o2 and moderate flow and the fish will do amazing! Ive kept quite a few thru the past yrs and this is what I have learned.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Just don't overfeed. Its not necessary at all. Even feeding every other day is fine. He will be ok. Over feeding them and giving them a bulged out belly is not good for the animal
Any well experienced tig keeper will tell u the same thing. I have a 2ft+ tig and feed every other day along with the other big fish. If i do daily feeds, itz only a few pieces of cut fish or a few pellets, that's it. Remember in the wild they dont eat daily so recreating the same in captivity is conducive to growing them out properly. They are not glutinous fish, like rtc and the sorts. Also stay away from any "seafoods" until 12"+. for some strange reason they dont metabolize foods from saltwater well.and actually can be harmful. Stick to cut freshwater fish and pellets. Once it reaches a ft+, u can attempt shrimp and such. Maintain pristine water perameters and alot of o2 and moderate flow and the fish will do amazing! Ive kept quite a few thru the past yrs and this is what I have learned.
Hi noted with thanks. Yup I am mostly feeding alternate days. The good thing is he is already 12 inches in length and he stops eating when he is full

The shrimp is not much a choice now as that is also what I am feeding his other tankmates but he does not seems as excited about it as the tilapia currently either that or he is just hungry lol

For the past 3 weeks or so, he ate like only 15 earthworms and 2-3 pieces of cut shrimp. Yesterday was the first time it was actually actively searching for food while previous time was all target fed with forceps

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Great post! All agreeable on my end except my experience with feeding salt water bait fish to my tigs begs to differ but I agree that there is a mystery around it and we clearly have two groups of tig keepers - ones that say don't feed crustaceans and saltwater feed, and the others that have done it and say it's ok.

I heed the first group guys like you and hence do not offer my tigs any crustaceans but their staple meaty feed is s/w bait fish. Always has been since 1.5". I currently am raising 10 tigs,
-- 18"
-- 12"-14" x4
-- 5"-7" x5

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store