Japanese Mat

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
I have a few pieces of japanese mat that was cut from a big piece.. Each time I patted them on the floor, some small "wire-like" pieces came off.. Is this normal?
Not sure if it matters but they were used in my filter a few years back then I took them out and kept them in the store room.. till recently when I plan to change up my filtration media..

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Yeah, its normal. Happens to mine when they got old. They get delicate. Never had a problem because of it.
BTW, I had to google what a 'Japanese mat' was, I think you are talking about that filter media that looks like a bunch of stiff, curly strings stuck together.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Hey man, long time no see. The mat media has probably just gotten brittle over time.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Yeah, its normal. Happens to mine when they got old. They get delicate. Never had a problem because of it.
BTW, I had to google what a 'Japanese mat' was, I think you are talking about that filter media that looks like a bunch of stiff, curly strings stuck together.
Yup, you described it precisely.. It's weird but when I soaked them in water, not much came off when patting.. It's like they stuck together more firmly..

Hey man, long time no see. The mat media has probably just gotten brittle over time.
Hi Neil, I'm occasionally on but just never post :)
If they got brittle, are they still good to use? When I tried pressing/squeezing the japanese mats, they still feel solid..
They are a pain to cut that's why I plan to reuse the old pre-cut pieces from a few years back.. lol

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Another quick question, do these fibres/strings/wires that break off flow from one filter compartment to another and eventually stuck in the pump or do they just fall to the bottom of that particular filter chamber?
Hmm, an easier way of phrasing it would be are the broken pieces light enough to be carried around by water flow?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store