Bluegill questions

Jerrodhelie

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2017
I am from Oklahoma and I want to do a native Oklahoma tank. I have a 36 gallon fully cycled tank. I want to catch wild bluegill and set up territories and such for them in my tank. Is my 36 big enough or do i need a bigger tank? If so, how many bluegill can I put in my 36?

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
need a lot bigger tank 75g+ is min for Lepomis species. Enneacanthus could work but there not from there. bluegill get big even by Lepomis standards and are very aggressive. some darters or Topminnows would work from your region. always check laws about collecting 1st and be 100% sure to be able to identify what you have.

Jerrodhelie

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2017
need a lot bigger tank 75g+ is min for Lepomis species. Enneacanthus could work but there not from there. bluegill get big even by Lepomis standards and are very aggressive. some darters or Topminnows would work from your region. always check laws about collecting 1st and be 100% sure to be able to identify what you have.
Thanks for the reply. Since posting I found a 75 gallon that i will use. How many can i keep in a 75 gallon?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Agreed with above. Sunfish do best either alone or in groups of 5-6+ to spread out aggression. If you want a group, then a 75g would be perfect for half a dozen as long as you keep up with water changes. My female Green (fully* grown 5.5") does very well alone in a 30 long but I wouldn't put anything else with her.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Yep the 36g is too small in the long run for sure and the 75g is too small for larger species (Bluegill/Redear Sunfish/Green Sunfish) as well if you are keeping a group. Bluegill can get very large actually over 12" and up to about 2lbs if they are normal strain Bluegill, the Georgia Giant strain can hit 5lbs and 16" or so. I've attached a pic of a beast normal strain one for reference.

monsterbluegill.jpg

Agreed with above. Sunfish do best either alone or in groups of 5-6+ to spread out aggression. If you want a group, then a 75g would be perfect for half a dozen as long as you keep up with water changes. My female Green (fully* grown 5.5") does very well alone in a 30 long but I wouldn't put anything else with her.
Agree with keeping multiple or a single one for aggression as well. I've kept plenty of sunfish species through the years and even in a large tank for them (240g) they picked on one another pretty bad when I had smaller groups of them. I've kept Bluegill, Green Sunfish, Orange Spotted, and Redear thus far. My Green even started creating nesting sites despite being the only one in the tank and claimed an area where it was very aggressive towards any other tank mates even those twice its size. The green can get a lot bigger than 5.5" I've personally caught them to close to 10" from a friends stock pond and about 3/4lb.

I'd recommend a smaller sunfish species like Lepomis humilis the Orange Spotted Sunfish for several reasons instead of Bluegill. For starters they stay much smaller with max size being under 6" and they are also far more colorful and look better in the aquarium as well as being more peaceful than Bluegill. You can find them for sale online fairly easily or on Aquabid.

orangespottedsunfish.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Yeah, I agree with the above comments, but why bluegills? Just not that colorful compared longears:
upload_2017-10-17_21-56-10.jpeg
green sunfish:
upload_2017-10-17_21-57-11.jpeg
warmouth:
upload_2017-10-17_21-57-53.jpeg
etc. Ha, Ha, you do you. Your opinion I guess...

upload_2017-10-17_21-58-31.jpeg

ChocolateCake123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
I know they aren't native, but my cousin did this and it worked well, so would you consider adding Mbuna cichlids? They're able to stand up to sunfish and it looks real neat with the 2 together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store