Hello. Is this the best forum to call home?

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Bosemani are pretty easy to sex when showing any color. The males are blue/orange and females are green
Looks all orange.... all males........

I am worried for the 2 glass catfish I put in the tank (I know they are schooling and I wanted to see how the other fish would react), the betta doesn't care but when I first put them in I saw a boseman getting a nip at it's whiskers and fins....... should I be concerned?

First don't flame me for having a betta in my tanks. I think they ar pretty fish and I am aware of how aggresive they can be, I haven't had any aggression from mine and if they do decide to be bothersome I have an extra tank for them.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Bettas can be mild in bigger tanks, with the right mix they can be comm friendly

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Will 5 male boseman rainbows cause a problem? Should I switch them out for females? I can't find anyone around me that sells them!!!! The guy I got the fish tanks from had bought them from petsmart......

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Many people keep male only rainbow tanks without issues. You'l have no chance of breeding them, though. I think the only chance of getting female boesmanni is probably to buy immature ones, I never see them for sale, either. The glass cats may be fine or maybe not. I've kept them with giant danios - somewhat similar temperament, albeit smaller than boesmanni, in a 55. The extra size of your tank should help. The glass cats will love tall plants like vals or swords, or floating plants, like elodia. I would guess that might increase their chances greatly.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Add more to the group maybe?

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Add more to the group maybe?
I said that above! :)

Anyways they stopped bullying them I guess they were just a bit curious........ I dear hope.......... going to add sumo loaches to the tanks (whats a good number?) and scarlet badis (whats also a good number for them?) and hopefully I can stake a paradise fish around my area. Going to plant it soon :/

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Badis are rather small, I wouldn't add them on fear of not getting food...

Loaches do best in a group so 6 or more would be better imo :)

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Badis are rather small, I wouldn't add them on fear of not getting food...

Loaches do best in a group so 6 or more would be better imo :)
Who would eat them? Also I heard sumo loaches have to be kept in less number since thay are like "aggresive" and/or territorial fish????

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm worried about badis not getting food with the other fish, maybe they will but just a concern

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Keep the male Boesemani, they can are beautiful when mature. I loved my group when I had them. They can be rather boisterous so I would be a little concerned about the glass cats which I have not kept but have heard they can be rather timid.

Welcome to MFK!

Icedcoldmine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2017
Keep the male Boesemani, they can are beautiful when mature. I loved my group when I had them. They can be rather boisterous so I would be a little concerned about the glass cats which I have not kept but have heard they can be rather timid.

Welcome to MFK!
The bosemans ignored the glass catfish after the first 30 min from being in the tank.

Many people keep male only rainbow tanks without issues. You'l have no chance of breeding them, though. I think the only chance of getting female boesmanni is probably to buy immature ones, I never see them for sale, either. The glass cats may be fine or maybe not. I've kept them with giant danios - somewhat similar temperament, albeit smaller than boesmanni, in a 55. The extra size of your tank should help. The glass cats will love tall plants like vals or swords, or floating plants, like elodia. I would guess that might increase their chances greatly.
I have swords in my tank......... can't find anywhere locally that sells those lol :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store