Grow out tank question

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
I have a 170 gallon tank that has just finished cycling. I'm planning to get a bichir this weekend from my LFS, most likely an ornate.

My question is because their ornates are small, about 2", is the 170g too big to put a single ornate in at that size? This might be silly, but I'm concerned about the little guy/gal being able to find food.

And yes, I'll be moving the bichir when it outgrows my 170g :)

Reactions: clm08k and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a 170 gallon tank that has just finished cycling. I'm planning to get a bichir this weekend from my LFS, most likely an ornate.

My question is because their ornates are small, about 2", is the 170g too big to put a single ornate in at that size? This might be silly, but I'm concerned about the little guy/gal being able to find food.

And yes, I'll be moving the bichir when it outgrows my 170g :)

The Ornate will be fine in the 170 just don't add anything that is fast and will compete for food.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
They also love live earthworms but yeah most people feed pellets and fish as a staple. Fish that small are usually captive bred and those guys are typically pretty easy to get eating. Just be sure the food is cut up small enough for them! 2" is liiiiiittle. :)

I don't think your ornate will outgrow your 170, at least for a very very long time.

What else are you going to keep with it?

Reactions: clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
were you wanting to add anything else to the tank eventually? any other bichirs, multiple ornates, or other fish in the tank? The reason why I ask because if you just put one fish in, it could become territorial and make it harder to add other fish later on.

A tank with multiple ornates and other lower jaws would be cool. and some swimmers for some movement. Of course, it is up to what you want for the tank. Congratulations on the 170/180g tank!

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
They also love live earthworms but yeah most people feed pellets and fish as a staple. Fish that small are usually captive bred and those guys are typically pretty easy to get eating. Just be sure the food is cut up small enough for them! 2" is liiiiiittle. :)

I don't think your ornate will outgrow your 170, at least for a very very long time.

What else are you going to keep with it?
Another stupid question, but where do you guys typically get your worms from?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store