Starfire / low iron glass: worth it?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I agree, I've seen them side by side and there is a big difference. This is what I noticed most. Looking at the edge of the starfire glass through 18" of glass I was able to read the label on a tank sitting behind this one. When you look at the edge of regular glass all you see is green. Of course it won't be as noticeable in 3/4" , but you should try and compare the two side by side. Does it justify the extra expense? Depends on the person and the budget, but if it was me and a tank that size ( your masterpiece tank) I would do it. Unless you plan on getting a bigger/ better tank down the road. Compare the two side by side and that will help "clarify" the situation.
This is definitely going to be the masterpiece! If I can pull this plan off, I will have literally built the house around it. I'm strongly leaning toward acrylic at this point. Sun Coast has given me a quote for a 120x42 footprint acrylic that's cheaper than the best quote I've gotten on a 120x36 low iron tank. That's the direction I'm heading if I can pull this off. :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That sounds amazing. Can't wait to see it, is this a home for the black Aro and flash zebra cat?

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
That sounds amazing. Can't wait to see it, is this a home for the black Aro and flash zebra cat?
If I can get it, it will be.

I need a new jur though. The last one jumped. It was a victim of my hubris with just a hood but no lids. :'(

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If I can get it, it will be.

I need a new jur though. The last one jumped. It was a victim of my hubris with just a hood but no lids. :'(
Oh no! Not at all good :(

My only uncovered tank is a Shrimp tank, and I'm building nice lids before my polys knock these plastic canopies off

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This was a very good read helped me out my order in. I did decide to go Starfire for front Pannell. Tank is 96*30*24. Only costed 300 more for the Starfire. Now just to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery......
Can't wait to see :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
...........who is building it?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Having owned a 210 gallon with standard glass (believe it was 1/2” thick) I hated the green tinge I saw in it. So when I did my upgrade (300g with 5/8” glass) I did the low iron for front and side panels. I love the clarity and have no regrets spending the extra for it. I used customaquariums.com and was very happy with the tank, so much so that I also got two 65B from them. With those I only did low iron on the front panels. But to me worth it.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
This was a very good read helped me out my order in. I did decide to go Starfire for front Pannell. Tank is 96*30*24. Only costed 300 more for the Starfire. Now just to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery......
Good choice, well worth it for the low iron glass

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store