Official 2017/2018 NFL Discussion Thread

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
U should add the dolphins.
Hello; OK I will. Thanks.

I feel like once they change the verbiage to the existing rules. We will see big changes.
Hello; A few posts back in this thread the current rules about the opening ceremony were posted. The way the players are expected to act is pretty clearly defined. The only out the owners currently have is the word "may" that precedes the list of possible punishments. To me that means the owners and/or the NFL brass "can" currently use the listed punishments but have chosen not to.

owners werent even sure if it was legal to proceed how they wanted
Hello; Fair point if in fact there is a legal question. My take has been they simply chose not to use the authority they already have.

But what do we really expect them to do ? Not play their entire offensive line ? Im sure that would end up in court
Hello; At this point I do expect them to "not play" any players who take a knee or otherwise disrespect the flag. Pun intended; I find all the players who take a knee to be offensive.

While so many things can wind up in court, back to my example of how this forum can censor our written speech, I do not see a legal issue based on the prior existing written rules of the NFL.

How many people boycotted baseball in the steriod era ?
Hello; I know one fellow who was a life long baseball fan who now does not watch or support baseball. It is not me as I am trying to watch baseball more this fall.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Screenshot_20171016-043602.png

This is ridiculous. He can choose to protest because its his "right" but the owners arent allowed to choose who they hire?

Hes special ? How many players fall in the draft because of off the field issues and owners dont want the distraction. This better not hire him because of outside pressure looking at you GB packers smh

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
View attachment 1279708

This is ridiculous. He can choose to protest because its his "right" but the owners arent allowed to choose who they hire?

Hes special ? How many players fall in the draft because of off the field issues and owners dont want the distraction. This better not hire him because of outside pressure looking at you GB packers smh
Yep, ridiculous!!! I would think this would push owners away from him. It will be interesting to see what happens from here. So is kneeling during the anthem still going on?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yep, ridiculous!!! I would think this would push owners away from him. It will be interesting to see what happens from here. So is kneeling during the anthem still going on?
I have no doubt that the kneeling is keeping owners away BUT hes a total hypocrite. If its in his right to kneel how is it not in the owners right to not hire him because of it

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
So is kneeling during the anthem still going on?
Hello; I have not heard one way or the other as far as Sundays games went. I am still interested to know which teams.

If its in his right to kneel how is it not in the owners right to not hire him because of it
Hello; I like this. Add to it that the rule book already had the flag & anthem procedures written in before " kap" started his thing.

Hello; Another thought. Several players with off field problems have been taken in by teams for the age old reason they are good at their positions. Michael Vick comes to mind. Kap may just not be good enough for one thing, but if the kneeling is the reason he is unemployed then I am for that.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I do not have details but saw a headline moments ago. Apparently the NFL has decided that it will not punish players who kneel. If true this sounds pretty weak to me. I

I get that folks should not be forced to be patriotic or to show respect for our flag. Even tho I do not agree with them, that is their right. What I do not get is why the NFL is not willing to use their already existing rules to give the players a choice -While in a football uniform at a ballgame either stand and salute the flag or go work for someone else. Is that forcing? I had to agree to and follow rules during my working life as a public school teacher.
I am sure the players had ample time and opportunity to read the rules or have someone explain the rules to them when they signed on the teams.

Well I cannot do more than voice my displeasure and stop watching the games. I have a few games recorded with the hope the teams, owners and NFL would eventually see things in what I consider the right way.

I am pondering posting a few letters to the sponsors of the NFL ballgames. It is hard for me to imagine the sponsors do not understand how making millions of us mad will hurt their business. I have been jotting down the names of some sponsors just in case I decide to write those letters. At the very least my eyes will not be on their commercials during NFL ball games, but that does not seem enough for the level of anger I feel just now.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
As far as boycotting football to each his own. But im sure the nfl will fix this fiasco. How many people boycotted baseball in the steroid era?
The US population is 25% larger now than it was in 1994.

MLB had an average per game attendance of 31,270 in 1994. Hasn't topped that in 23 years. Blame it on the strike. Blame it on steroid use. Blame it on basketball. Blame it on football.

My point is that it proves that a sport can lose fans permanently. No business model (of which I am aware) was ever designed with the implied intent of insulting 50-65% of the customers. Until now I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: skjl47

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
View attachment 1279708

The problems in his case are gigantic.

1) Bonds lost a nearly identical case, except Bonds was clearly a better player in his last year than Kap.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...nds-in-collusion-case-over-his-career-ending/
Kap was not a top tier QB. He was rated 21st, 31st and 18th in his last 3 years. (Bonds otoh had the 3rd highest OPS in all of baseball his last season.)

2) Multiple players that protested are still playing. And the owners have not struck down any protesting players.

3) His W-L record was 1-10 his last year and his own team benched him.

4) He opted out of $17 million deal in 2017 which is the reason he isn't in uniform today.

5) The league no longer uses the only style of offence Kap could play (which is also partly why RG3 and Tebow are gone.)

6) Unlike the successful collusion cases (MLB 1985, 1986, 1987), but like the Bonds' case, Kap has no evidence of collusion. No admission and no emails. Not even statistical evidence. His case is pure conjecture as it assumes facts that he hasn't found.

Kap's case boils down to this assertion: if ANY below average player is unsigned, that, by itself, proves collusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: skjl47

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hello; I do not have details but saw a headline moments ago. Apparently the NFL has decided that it will not punish players who kneel. If true this sounds pretty weak to me. I

I get that folks should not be forced to be patriotic or to show respect for our flag. Even tho I do not agree with them, that is their right. What I do not get is why the NFL is not willing to use their already existing rules to give the players a choice -While in a football uniform at a ballgame either stand and salute the flag or go work for someone else. Is that forcing? I had to agree to and follow rules during my working life as a public school teacher.
I am sure the players had ample time and opportunity to read the rules or have someone explain the rules to them when they signed on the teams.

Well I cannot do more than voice my displeasure and stop watching the games. I have a few games recorded with the hope the teams, owners and NFL would eventually see things in what I consider the right way.

I am pondering posting a few letters to the sponsors of the NFL ballgames. It is hard for me to imagine the sponsors do not understand how making millions of us mad will hurt their business. I have been jotting down the names of some sponsors just in case I decide to write those letters. At the very least my eyes will not be on their commercials during NFL ball games, but that does not seem enough for the level of anger I feel just now.
X 2.
I'm with you. I only hope it's not just a few of us who put their money where their mouth is. Don't put a game over respect for your country.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store