Pear and Marble M. Questions

Vincent Guerrero

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to get a new tank for my office. I've been reading about rays for a while now and they're kinda my dream fish so I want to make it right, but I have a few questions.

Rays: I want to get 2-3 Marbled Motoro and/or Pearl. Once I tried to buy one here, and the guys told me the marble wouldn't get bigger than 10 inches, but in the ray profile thread it says motoros get 30 inches+ and it has no info about pearls. I'm wondering if mabled motoros are truly smaller than normal motoros? and how big do pearl get? Also, what's a marbled motoro, I can't seen to find a lot of info, then books that I've read just talk about the motoro not the marbled varient.

Tankmates: I want to do Chicla, and maybe a Silver Aro or some other fish.

Tank, I want to keep it at 72 inches long due to space, so I want to start with 125G (72x18x21) and then move into 220 (72x24x24/30) since the length is the same. I was always under the impression that Rays would like/look better and in a deep tank, so should I try to do build/buy a 72x(36or48)x24 instead of a 220(72x24x30)?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Vincent

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Rays will stay small for short time. Marble males could end up being smaller but females are rare to stay small. Tank is way way to small for the rays let alone all the other fish.

I have a pair in a 400 g , female is 2.5 years old and 17 inch width. Male is 12 inch. Foot print of my tank is 6x4.5. that is bare minimum for my pair and couldn't imagine them in a smaller tank

Vincent Guerrero

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
Do you have a pair of marbled? did build the tank yourself? Any tankmates with the pair? any thoughts about the pearl stingray?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I have a pair of marbles in a tank I built. 96" × 40" × 24" with a dat and a large silver aro. These 4 fish really fill the tank and I see an upgrade in my future. Rays get really massive, doesn't seem to matter what kind unless you have retics or hystrix. If you plan to keep these massive fish, plan to build a massive tank. No two ways about it.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
If you have a 72inch space then go for the biggest tank that will fit it straight away, why would you use a x18 and then go through the hassle of emptying it, housingbthe fish and putting another 72inch tank in its place? 72x18 is way too small for a fast growing ray, it is width that they need.

Vincent Guerrero

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
I have a pair of marbles in a tank I built. 96" × 40" × 24" with a dat and a large silver aro. These 4 fish really fill the tank and I see an upgrade in my future. Rays get really massive, doesn't seem to matter what kind unless you have retics or hystrix. If you plan to keep these massive fish, plan to build a massive tank. No two ways about it.
What did you use to build ? Glass, Acrylic or Plywood?

If you have a 72inch space then go for the biggest tank that will fit it straight away, why would you use a x18 and then go through the hassle of emptying it, housingbthe fish and putting another 72inch tank in its place? 72x18 is way too small for a fast growing ray, it is width that they need.
I think that make sense. Will 24 inches to small for the width?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
24" is definitely way to narrow for rays. 36" would be minimum. An adult female will have a 30"+ length with tail.

Vincent Guerrero

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2017
Wow this is awesome! I love that tank. Ive never donde something like that, but i mighr give it a try. I guess i have to stoo watching videos in youtube where I see people with 6 rays 4 aro and many other fish in 220G cause your tank looks way too empty with those 4 fish but at least they have a ton of space

24" is definitely way to narrow for rays. 36" would be minimum. An adult female will have a 30"+ length with tail.
How long will it take for a ray to get there? I'll do 72×36×24 and ill house the rays and some peacock

Also, those rays you have man, stunning! I

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Wow this is awesome! I love that tank. Ive never donde something like that, but i mighr give it a try. I guess i have to stoo watching videos in youtube where I see people with 6 rays 4 aro and many other fish in 220G cause your tank looks way too empty with those 4 fish but at least they have a ton of space

How long will it take for a ray to get there? I'll do 72×36×24 and ill house the rays and some peacock

Also, those rays you have man, stunning! I
I haven't posted any pics or videos lately. Those fish are filling that tank up pretty quickly. The last pics I posted were months ago, and everybody has grown a bunch. All those fish are young fish...less than 2 years old. That will give you a time line. I think long term when it comes to rays and aros...ray live 20+ years and get massive. Aros live 50+ years and get insanely huge. I know of one in captivity over 50"!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store